Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Why is it so hard to sell domains now?

Register for the auction
Reaction score
If I owned networkforall.com Most people in this world probably wouldn't even give me $100 if they had thousands. Most people don't even know what a domain name is.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I owned networkforall.com Most people in this world probably wouldn't even give me $100 if they had thousands. Most people don't even know what a domain name is.
Hi

if you owned it,
i wouldn't want it, even if you were giving it away for free.

domains sell every day, you just have to have names that are appealing.

imo....

LinkAdage

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ironically, spoken just like true AI 😅 As a matter of fact, at the very least you must be using some kind of writing aid, because this is just too much like it... am I correct?
AI checkers say 98%it was AI generated.

Genius

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It used to be way eaier to sell domain names, now it is even hard to give them away. Why?
Most of better keyword domains not worth as much as starting from 2008. Peoples who buyed them back then payed alot more and want to high price. That second .com domaining buble exploaded at some year. There good keyword domains at xxx $ range and peoples try to make it back what they spent years ago before crash and expecting to get like 5 or 4 figures back. And alot (dot) TLD to choose from starting from .io and finishing under whatever name you can imagine.

Nowday i saw fair LLL.com's sold in expired domain auctions for like 4-6k eur range . In 2008 you cant dream to get any short 3 letter domain name for such price.

We had big explosion of domain parking services back then as well. I cant recall that 100% but i think dnforum had his own parking service for pro members as well. Google stopped paying high % for advertising on domain traffic and many of them closed for same reason.

Last edited:

XYNames

Level 1
Reaction score
Always has been up and down, but I've managed net positive holding about 1500 domains, no matter what, and most years have been wildly profitable none negative.

Reaction score
AI really doesn't exist. It never has, and it never will. I have been into computers for over 30 years. I know what I am talking about. They say that it exists, but it doesn't. All they have been able to do so far is timed and annualized puke back.

LinkAdage

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is domainers are asking way too much. Hard to find an average .com domain under $2000.

Domains just are not worth that anymore.

Why?

* Most that might be interested in domaining feel they missed the boat. Mostly an old timers game now.

* Domain name price appreciation has slowed. Very hard to buy hold and sell at a profit without some luck.

* Several other digital products trends to get into with a better risk/reward ratio and more built in excitement to invest in and possibly make money (AI, Crypto, apps etc..)

* As @genious mentioned above, many bought domains at peak pricing 10+ years ago and are holding on at unrealistic high prices to get more than their money back.

* Those that got lucky and found a good domain at cost are still trying to get 2008 prices.

* Plenty of TDLs to chose from if one can't get their preferred .com domain name at a fair price.

* Lots of 3rd party software sites like Shopify, Facebook Market Price, Facebook, Reddit, X, Amazon, Clickbank, and Etsy to sell ones wares or spout one's opinions without having to worry about the rankings fight has lessened the need to overspend on the "Perfect domain".

TL;DR Greed.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think dnforum had his own parking service
Hi

yeah, Adam did have a ppc platform for a brief period.
i earned some rev there before he shut it down.

Plenty of TDLs to chose from if one can't get their preferred .com domain name at a fair price.
Hi

the problem is that .com is still their preferred choice
so, whatever they get in the meantime, they will always want their preference.

As @genious mentioned above, many bought domains at peak pricing 10+ years ago and are holding on at unrealistic high prices to get more than their money back.

* Those that got lucky and found a good domain at cost are still trying to get 2008 prices.
Hi

i and many others i know of, often speak of holding the name at least 10 years or more, before selling to get highest ROI
some domains have to mature and/or the populace has to catch up to the name, when/where it becomes relevant in today's times.

imo....

Reaction score

Hi

yeah, Adam did have a ppc platform for a brief period.
i earned some rev there before he shut it down.

Hi

the problem is that .com is still their preferred choice
so, whatever they get in the meantime, they will always want their preference.

Hi

i and many others i know of, often speak of holding the name at least 10 years or more, before selling to get highest ROI
some domains have to mature and/or the populace has to catch up to the name, when/where it becomes relevant in today's times.

imo....
Domains are worth more now than they were in 2008. Give me some of that stuff that you are smoking.

Reaction score
As prices go up, people still chase the better names. That's the real reason why less domain names are sold. When the price of anything goes up less are sold.

Cathernie

Reaction score
Selling domains can be challenging for several reasons, especially in today's market:
  1. Saturated Market: The domain market is saturated, with millions of domains already registered. Finding a unique and valuable domain name that hasn't been taken can be difficult.
  2. Decline in Domain Flipping: Domain flipping, or buying domains to sell them for a profit, has become less lucrative. Many high-value domain names have already been bought and sold, making it harder to find undervalued domains.
  3. Changes in SEO Practices: While exact-match domains (EMDs) used to be valuable for SEO, search engines like Google have shifted focus to providing high-quality content. This has reduced the value of keyword-rich domain names.
  4. Increased Competition: There are many platforms and services for buying and selling domains, which has increased competition among domain sellers. It can be challenging to stand out in such a crowded market.
  5. Legal Issues: Domain squatting, where individuals register domains with the intent of selling them at a higher price, is illegal in some jurisdictions. This has made it harder for legitimate domain sellers to navigate the market.
  6. Alternative Domain Extensions: The introduction of new domain extensions (e.g., .io, .co, .tech) has provided more options for domain registration. However, it has also diluted the value of traditional .com domains.
  7. Value Perception: Buyers may not always see the value in a domain name, especially if it does not align with their branding or marketing strategy. Convincing buyers of the value of a domain can be challenging.
Overall, selling domains requires a combination of finding the right domain, understanding market trends, and effectively marketing the domain to potential buyers.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom