Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Google CHROME - how will it impact our traffic, domains, & ppc revenue? Good bad none

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have some concerns over certain auto complete features in the new Google Chrome browser..anyone an expert on this browser? Will this affect our ppc industry/domains/traffic potentially? I just have this weird "trojan horse" feeling sometimes when these companies push these smart products on us and the general public who for the most part has no idea how everything actually works behind the scenes. Input? :?:

Domain Summit 2024

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Actually a pretty good browser is Netscape, based on the mozilla code. So we're stuck with using the memory-hungry Firefox as a knee-jerk reaction to IE. There is also Opera - really nice and fast, Flock and Safari. I don't think Chrome will change anything.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So we're stuck with using the memory-hungry Firefox as a knee-jerk reaction to IE.

The new version 3 is supposed to use less memory. After I downloaded and installed it, it wouldn't run. I had to spend a lot of time doing research and finding a workaround for the bug that caused this problem. :veryangry:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember IE and domain words? Type in GM and you would be sent to GM.com - a company sold the keywords and Microsoft made it work in Internet Explorer. Nothing would stop Google from doing the very same.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Firefox already does this, by going to the top site for that keyword in Google.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone try Chrome yet?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite http://www.googlechrome.com

When will these companies ever learn? lol

Whoever on here that owns this one please PM me so I can buy it and point it at Yahoo

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Firefox already does this, by going to the top site for that keyword in Google.

It is not the same at all - Firefox will land you at the top search result. If Google has a new product like "Google Direct Navigation" where its ad sales people sell a keyword for Chrome to an advertiser, all the SEO in the world could not get that search entry to be the target of the search, simply because there would be no search.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't like it one bit..have a bad feeling about this one..

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just noticed starting today when I visit one of my own urls with a bad page instead of my 404 error message coming up and the auto redirect to the index page instead a Google box pops us saying there was a 404 error and it suggests I do a search for the words instead of going to my site or my own custom 404 page.

That is BIG NEWS and will definately reduce traffic. Is that somewhow related to the Google Tool Bar I just updated this morning? Has anyone else noticed this?

P.S. In effect, Google is stealing the 404 error traffic by doing this.

Last edited:

gemsergio

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Guys I just tried it out and I have to say its a good piece of software.Its fast easy to understand has a lot of simple but nice features. I really hope they wont push it to much especially for typos owner.

DomainManMike

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If this browser becomes widely used, we will all take a hit. That's disappointing. I won't be surprised if Microsoft follows their lead on this one. Hopefully Firefox will refrain from doing this.

I'm sure that Google's autocomplete features on both the website and the toolbar (where applicable) are already narrowing the range of terms for which users search for any given subject.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a high traffic domain which had its traffic reduced by more than 90% due to a three-step combination of (1) the Google use of the new IE8 Browser address bar auto-complete feature, (2) the new suggested sites search pop up box after a Google 404 message (3) And the suggested site listings on the search results page if G thinks there was a typo involved or detects a more common use.

That domain was getting almost 1,000 day visits and now way down to under 100 :disappointed: This 3-tier process from Google is quite negative for traffic :upset:

BTW, the above is not attributable because the name may be a typo or due to Chrome (which I do not have) but based on the latest Google tool bar, the SE, and the new IE-8. Chrome could make things ever worse. I believe these new issues will very seriously erode the value of your typo names and also negatively impact traffic to non-typos, but especially typos which resale prices may collapse over this (luckily I have only a few typos).

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First impressions:

- fast
- clean
- efficient on resources
- have to get used to the location of the tabs

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The auto suggest feature shoud be good for site owners and generic domain holders.
It will be bad for typo and tm domainers.

I have no problem with that.

MarinM

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
uTorrent among browsers? (almost)
If it is remains this simple and light, possibly lighter, it might spread like uTorrent (like David got Goliath with a rock and a sling).

It's a killer.
First of all it's a typo killer. (what did that word mean back in 00's?)
Then it's:
-simple
-fast
-google's (this will pull a lot)
-intelligent (it sets up language, favorites and some other options automatically)
-efficient (at least now, we have to see it when they add all those security features they talked about)
-open source (which IMO is a plus)
-sleek (some people don't like the design, I do).
I believe it'll change the rules because:
-the arena is too crowded. Firefox won't leave easily. IE and Safari belong to major companies. Opera is a star of Oslo Stock Exchange with only one product - browser. I believe users will prosper (actually, Chrome did it already, they are pushing the competition), but there will be colaterral as those who survive will want to take the money out of the field (and the field is big. I don't say money browsers today make is peanuts but it might be once they develop browsers and make them advertisers-friendlier).
Anyways, I like it.
(it's not iPhone, but it's Chrome)

ps: What I don't like: advertized suggestions showing in front of my recent and natural suggestions. Money talks too much.

Last edited:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just installed Chrome and first impressions are good.

The nice clean and simple look is good. Similar to how G became the #1 SE years ago vs the others who had that cluttered look and feel.

Chrome could eventually dominate the browser market as people realize in some ways Google is more important than Microsoft.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind their omnibox - no separate box for search. This alone would shut down the SEO business for a while, and the predictive url thing - it will suggest sites you have not visited but would be likely to visit based on popularity - does mean that the people sitting on typo sites would be toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators