Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

123-reg.co.uk - Review this Registrar

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNForum-News

Level 5
Reaction score
123-reg is a market leader in domain name registration and web hosting solutions. You can expect nothing but the best. All your domain names are hosted in the UK in our state of the art data centre. So start saving today and register (or transfer !) your domain name to 123-reg.

aidman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
awful registrar... they have "lost" 2 of my domains due to admin error... 12 days on and they still haven't resolved the issue... currently looking for a good .uk registrar to move all .co.uks over to... avoid!

Update:

Been on the phone to 123-reg for most the day (premium rate i might add) they refuse to give ownership of my domains back to me as they have landed in 2 accounts that don't belong to me... even though my name is on the invoice for the domains and the whois shows they belong to me!!

When i asked why they hadn't replied to the 8 emails i've sent over the past 6 days, they replied... "we've got a 3 week backlog of support emails to get through"

When i asked to speak to a manager to make a complaint, they hung up on me!!

It makes me sick... I contacted pipex (their parent company) and they said they have no involvement with 123-reg and I can't make a complaint with pipex as 123-reg have their own complaint procedure... I said "i know, they just ignore you or hang up on you". The lady contacted 123-reg and told me the usernames that the domains were under... so i have that as ammo... but i'm still no closer to getting my domains back!!

Gerrit

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That surprises me a bit. Pipex is one of the leading ISP's here and has a very good reputation. I once contacted the 123-reg support to see how fast they were, and they did answer in a very reasonable time.

maxo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Normally I get answer from 123-reg support in around 4-5 days, so no more comments are needed from my side

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here it is...

Bought a dropped .co.uk yesterday AM via 123reg.co.uk - got an email receipt and payment ref at 10.55am.
17.30 - checked with nominet (controls .co.uk) 'name available' - wierd!
Try calling (so called) customer support at 123reg, via their £0.50/min, premium rate phone number - "sorry, we are closed" bla bla, so sent email.

Today, Friday 11Aug06, check nominets whois, and WOW, it's been registered to a Peter Smith, address withheld. FYI, in the UK, Peter Smith is the equivilent of John Doe, right...call nominet - seems it was reg'd at 18.10hrs yesterday by Mr Peter Smith.

So, I email 123reg...twice...no answer. It only cost me £6.09 - for 2 years reg, but to me the name is worth thousands - so that's what I want. They took my dough, sent me confirmation, and then expect me to roll over - wrong guy!

Don't deal with 123reg - I've got 500 names with various registrars, had some issues but always got 'em sorted. This is the first time I've dealt with them and they're trying to fu*k me.

So, are they crooks, incompitent, stupid, or all three? Either way, I want the name they sold me, or compensation of four figures GBP.

For everyone out there, if you are thinking about using them 'cos they're cheap, (like I did), remember this thread.

Jas

Oh yeah, the name - it's golfmatch.co.uk

Anonymous999

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One Word

ABISMAL

Whatever you do, go elsewhere.

All the time everthing goes ok all will be hunky dory!

There support sucks, there premium rate phone line is a complete joke.

So far my account is still locked and what a laugh i have to send them a cheque for a few measly quid! I sent a cheque they banked it, i am still locked from my account.

Oh and why am i locked from my account, i owe them £6 from a charge back and complaint i made to my CC company about them!!

Well i never complaind, they have been paid up to date and my CC shows no chargebacks!! They dont answer any questions about this when asked and cant send me any proof, all they say is send a cheque!!

They are internet robbing domain hosting conmen!

They reply to my emails (eventually) not answering any of my questions, but telling me stuff i already know and pointing me to there T&C!!!

And why am i so fed up, well i am changing servers in the next 2 days and need access to change the nameservers at 123-reg. Guess what no luck and there support couldnt give a damn.

I have been with them for 2 years and like i said as long as all goes well you will have no trouble, but as soon as there is a mess up or problem they dig a deep hole and bury there head in the sand!! And to boot it costs you a fortuine on a 50p a minute number listening to music whilst on hold when you can listen to it for free on the radio!

As soon as i get into my account i will be moving, i have four other friends/companies with them and i will be moving them to.......

LizzeyDripping

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps!

I note the comments above re 123-reg.

I use them for mine and my clients domain names. They went through a really sticky patch recently (from early 2007) when they moved their business "dahn Saarf" (down South for those non-Southern Englanders) and made all their existing staff redundant as far as I can tell.

This led to a lack of staff motivation, shall we say! Support during this time was non-existent - no reply to emails and they didn't even bother to pick up their phone on the support line - which as correctly identified above used to be a massive 50p per minute. I decided to hang tight and see whether things improved after the move...

AND I have to say since September of this year, (since the move in other words) they have pulled their socks up and are back to being as good as they ever were - in fact, better - spanky new support site, telephone support now 10p per minute and 24 hour response times on any email queries I've sent to them. OK, so their support staff may not always know 100% what they are talking about - but I have found this of every single registrar I have ever had the misfortune to deal with (don't get me started on Network ?$*$?* Solutions for example!).

But bottom line - if you are in the business you need to know the way the system works for yourself and not rely on registrar support staff - they've always been fine if you tell them what they are meant to be doing - and this is only necessary with about 1% of the queries I've had to throw at them.

So my two cents - best value registrar I''ve found, very user friendly, no charge to transfer away - which always makes me feel better about any registrar! - and I'd recommend 'em to anyone. And hey, if you don't like them - like I say, no charge to transfer away and an easy transfer out process. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom