Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

1and1.com (Schlund+Partner) info wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have been searching for a new low cost registrar for a while. Not too happy with GoDaddy and their $9.20 high pricing. GD refuses to give a lower price unless I *first* call them only during business hrs and basically *beg* for a discount :( Not too happy with some others too.

Recently heard about 1and1.com and Schlund+Partner (who is the Icann registrar. Impressed by their pricing of $5.99 for most extensions and no BS involving all the upselling GD does so much of. They are a German firm with an office in US.

1and1 say's they are the largest webhost and IMO they must reply on non-profitable domain customers to eventually convert to hosting and other upgrades (however they do not appear to push that much as far as upselling goes, which is nice).

Anyone here have experience and some feedback?

kritter

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been registering names with 1 + 1 since beginning of January. I am very happy with their service. I just upgraded a couple to their hosting, kinda hard to learn at first, but they do have 24 hour tech support where you can call for live human assistance. Overall I am pleased with their service.

kritter

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been registering names with 1 + 1 since beginning of January. I am very happy with their service. I just upgraded a couple to their hosting, kinda hard to learn at first, but they do have 24 hour tech support where you can call for live human assistance. Overall I am pleased with their service.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did some more research on 1and1 and unfortunately must report THEY SUCK big time after discovering these major negatives:

1. They charge $5.99 to do a simple automated internal push from 1 acct to another. After buying a domain at dnf I paid it thinking it would also add 1 yr to the exp date but no it does not do that. Never heard of that before elsewhere.

2. To transfer new names there they all must be done slowly one at a time with no bulk transfer feature. That sure would be tough work for many of us with lots of names. When I asked phone supt why it needs to be done one at a time manually they said they make no profit on the reg fee and implied due to that they really do not want business from large domain holders and people with more than a few names.

3. No exp date listed in the control panel or anywhere else. They said the only way to check the exp date is a Whois report and they can not provide it. Can you imagine the time and trouble doing thousands of Whois's during the yr to check all your exp dates? That is what you need to do with 1and1.

4. Also, phone support is very slow. Tried 30 times and on hold all day before got thru after 6 hrs of trying.

5. The biggest ripoff is they charge $5.99 per yr per domain regardless of its expiration date. In other words, if you transfer in or get a push done and the domain expires in say 5-yrs you will be charged $5.99 every year for the entire 5 yrs with the exp date never being extended and always staying the same, finally after the 5 yrs is over the next payment moves the date 1 more yr. Isn't that amazing.

After 60 days is up will need to worry about how to get my names away from them. Today I read on G they make it tough and even require paperwork and faxes to do so. Stay away but where else to go who will give a low price and good service, without a big hassle and lots of upselling BS?

ChrisMacleod

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have some .co.uk domains registered with their 1and1.co.uk site. Their MS Exchange hosting is great! But i would never register anything other than nominet domains with them for the reasons trader stated above and even then only personnel ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom