Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

2012 Looking Good for Domain Market activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen some mention that the domain market is down, but only 6 days into 2012 and we've seen a million dollar sale (dudu.com) and some 6 figure sales in the last week of 2011 (honest.com, phd.com). There also seems to be a lot of activity with big companies buying domains for new and old brands.

So do you think 2012 is looking up for the domain market?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Had my first 2012 mid-$x,xxx sale today, more news next week :D

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While I agree it looks great out of the 2012 gate, I recall gamesforgirls.com was also the New Years banner that led into a rather dismal 2011.

That said, I am watching the intermediate market thin out providing the brunt of the sales to lower dollars.

This concerns me most, but that 2012 trend will take a few months to pan out to a measurable avarage for reasonable comparison.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2011 was actually not that bad. Reselling in forums was harder. Dropping lesser performing domains to improve portfolio quality was common in 2011. Aftermarket sales were still decent, and when you look at what sold every week in the DNJ report the quality is all over the place by domainer standards.

For some reason 2012 feels like its going to be better, there's been a lot of activity in the domain market and headlines the last couple weeks already.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2011 was actually not that bad. Reselling in forums was harder. Dropping lesser performing domains to improve portfolio quality was common in 2011. Aftermarket sales were still decent, and when you look at what sold every week in the DNJ report the quality is all over the place by domainer standards.

For some reason 2012 feels like its going to be better, there's been a lot of activity in the domain market and headlines the last couple weeks already.

I do not disagree, but the reseller market is a big support mechanism for the market as a whole. While enduser participation appeared on the outside as tempered but healthy, the domainer crowd didnt appear so healthy. That may wash out down the road. I dont know. As a lame analogy, if the dealerships aint stocking their parking lots with inventory, that is usually an ominous sign of the enduser market health. (but they still sell cars and note the valuable sales trends)

But absalutely yes, I also feel, for what that is worth, that the cleanout has and will produce a heathy market in the end of a bad economy in 2012.

We, resellers, and end users, are smarter now.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I know there are more persons here with personal observations and opinions!

Fess up and post!

Last edited:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lots of inquiries, tire kickers, time wasters etc - but I have two x,xxx sales in escrow right now.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nice.

I have lost two really good sales from Houdini buyers in the last 6 months.

I know, not many, but they wanna buy and make a promise, never to be heard from again.

Sucks.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sold 2 x,xxx in the last 2 weeks

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the sub 2-5k market is pretty good right now. My inquiries and offers are coming from established companies, start ups and domainers...it is a good sign IMO when the startups are in the hunt.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The market is definitely picking up again. I am in the middle of closing a mid $xx,xxx sale to an end-user (lll.com).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom