Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

$25,000 is great, but am I getting ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sitka Brett

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am the original owner of vpp.com. It's now lost all commercial value to me. Over the years people have offered to buy it. Latest offer comes from what I assume is a broker in China. She started with an offer of $10,000 for her client. We said no thank you. Price went to $25,000. We said no thank you. Now she's offering $23,500, covering all escrow fees at escrow.com, and they will throw in czp.com for free. I see very little down side to their offer, but I have no experience in this business and am secretly wondering if the buyer of vpp.com is going to turn around and sell it for 2 million. Please share your experience, thoughts, wisdom, etc. with me.
Thanks!

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2 million or not your domain is worth what the buyer will offer! It's a very good offer. I would counter back with 35k and close it with the lll.com their offering.

Markets are crashing in all sectors. Take the money!

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't really worry about what the next man sells the domain for. As long as you are happy with the deal, then that's all that counts. If someone offers me $50k for a name I've paid $5k for and he resells it the next week for $100k, then I'd just be happy on his behalf. I made $45k and if the next owner makes a million on the same name, he has probably earned it fair and square.

I'd say $23,5k + a decent LLL.com is a multiple of what you can ever expect from a reseller in the next 5-10 years, so I'd take the money (and the LLL.com) and run. :) Good luck!

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can take the money and buy more LLL.com in the reseller market.

Here are some of the recent LLL.com sales:
HUZ com $7,524
MAH com $12,500
NBB com $95,000
WHE com $8,807
WOP com $24,000
CFF com $9,500
xdt com $3,333
Whe com $8,784
YJA com $4,500
MVF com $10,750
HZG com $4,056
NZE com $4,900
VVR com $6,479
Ibz com $3,000
Szc com $4,500
Dqm com $1,799
Bcr com $15,210
Ety com $5,000
Fyn com $8,500
Oeb com $12,150

Find more sales on http://dnsaleprice.com

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
VPP is a 16 year old domain name. The letters are good and have many positive words that'd match the acronym. When the offer jumps from $10k to $25k it means that the buyer is gambling with your ability to assess the domain's value. When you say "no thank you" you fail to indicate what *you* want for the domain. If you want $100k then you ask for $100k. Whether the buyer can offer you $100k is another story, but you might end up getting much more than the $25k that the "no thank you" produced.

I would not want to receive domains as part of a payment.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
VPP is a 16 year old domain name. The letters are good and have many positive words that'd match the acronym. When the offer jumps from $10k to $25k it means that the buyer is gambling with your ability to assess the domain's value. When you say "no thank you" you fail to indicate what *you* want for the domain. If you want $100k then you ask for $100k. Whether the buyer can offer you $100k is another story, but you might end up getting much more than the $25k that the "no thank you" produced.

I would not want to receive domains as part of a payment.

LLL.coms are so liquid I consider them cash. :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... am secretly wondering if the buyer of vpp.com is going to turn around and sell it for 2 million.
...or may sell it for $30K? Do you have another buyer standing in line offering $25,000? Do you have one offering $2million?

If you are indeed worried that someone may actually make a profit off of your domain name, then please hold onto this name until you have the millions you are afraid you might be missing out on.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LLL.coms are so liquid I consider them cash. :)
Same here, but that's an unusual arrangement.

Does the whois for domain czp.com suggest who the possible buyer might be ?

If the other party is really motivated, he/she will submit a 'final offer' at some point. Then you take it from there. In the meantime the amounts offered haven't stopped rising yet.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am the original owner of vpp.com. It's now lost all commercial value to me. Over the years people have offered to buy it. Latest offer comes from what I assume is a broker in China. She started with an offer of $10,000 for her client. We said no thank you. Price went to $25,000. We said no thank you. Now she's offering $23,500, covering all escrow fees at escrow.com, and they will throw in czp.com for free. I see very little down side to their offer, but I have no experience in this business and am secretly wondering if the buyer of vpp.com is going to turn around and sell it for 2 million. Please share your experience, thoughts, wisdom, etc. with me.
Thanks!

The ONLY thing you need to know is that you are NOT getting taken advantage of, even if you find out that they would have paid a ton more, or they are some huge corporation. The bottom line is that it is a reasonable price for this name. Whether you can get significantly more is up to you. Generally speaking, if someone offers 25K for a name and you counter too high, they will still pay the 25K.

The ONLY time you can really hurt yourself in a negotiation is when you are selling a dogshit name like many seen around here. You will often times see people complaining about someone backing out of a deal, or otherwise crying that they didn't pull one over on some sucker. Well, the reason they are so up in arms is that they are selling the name for a lot more than they know it is worth. If that wasn't the case, and the price was actually a market price, then they would simply turn around and sell it to someone else. That happens a lot when people try to sell worthless names for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Of course they are SICK when the sucker gets away.

But you have a solid name, so it is your job to get as much as possible. With good names like yours, the risk of offending the potential buyer with a nice counter-offer is very low. It is not like some of these people around here who try to get $800 when they really would take $80 if they were put to the test. In those cases, you will often see someone offer a few hundred, and then once the seller becomes unreasonable the potential buyer no longer is interested at any price.

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many things need to be taken into consideration but this is what comes to mind if you are infact a seller or motivated.

1. The worlds economy is in shambles.
2. The domain industry IS suffering and LLL.com ARE DOWN.
3. You would NOT receive that high an offer on the forums or at a domain auction, so already a premium is being paid.

Take that into consideration and if it doesnt swing you the flip side is having nothing in your pocket and the dream a bigger end user will com along and give you X. I have never looked back, used the funds today to make more tomorrow, you can do the same with time and hard work. Take that $2Xk and make another $2Xk with it, bet you can do that in a much shorter time frame then waiting on a end user.

GL

Sitka Brett

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Much thanks to all the responses!

The broker has made it clear in her most recent message (our 35th email back and forth) that her client is at the end of his budget and their offer is final. More specifically it is:
$23,500
buyer pays escrow fees
I can choose one of three domain names as part of the deal, czp.com ,gkq.com and dwq.com.

The broker is named Ivy Wong. She's with eName Corp out of China.

Does anyone have experience conducting a transaction with this woman or company?

She wrote: "Please seriously consider our offer and respond to us in 7 days. If it fails, we will try other domain. This will be our last inquiry."

So I've got a few days to decide. I'm considering putting vpp.com up for sale on other sites to see if it might generate a higher selling price in the next few days. Is that a good idea? If so, where would I do that?

Thanks again,

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take any of those lll.com's. The fact that a broker is offering $$$+domains is kind of weird. She obviously wants the name bad when she jumped from $10k to $25k. I'd tell them to sell those domains and come back with a stronger offer or $25k + all the lll.com's. Make sure to use escrow for this transaction no matter what and one that YOU are comfortable with. Sedo/moniker escrow or escrow.com are good choices.

I will admit the highest sales I have had are in the low x,xxx range - so at the end of the day its what you are willing to settle for.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tell them to sell their LLL.com - they should fetch at least 4K each. Then they can improve their offer a little :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom