Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

271 Million Domain Names Globally

Status
Not open for further replies.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of these are registered by Domain Investors. Would be a cool stat to know... Any data on that?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Estibot/Dropping has some stats on that.. ie largest domain holders.
It would also be neat to see stats on this relative to number of sites over time = How fast is the internet growing?
And also great to calculate (cost of each extension) X (numbers registered) = Total Domain Market growth?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cost would be nearly impossible to calculate, or I should say I won't be the one to do it. Because first they were free, then $99/2yr, followed by reduced prices and now coupons that make them free, $2.17, $etc. Maybe after putting all that into play you can definitely say that there could be a P* graphed... but would be terribly hard to do as there are hundreds of registrars charging their own fees as compared to the beginning. Then again, you would have to take in CPI (I.E. that first $99 registration is worth $153 in today's dollars), etc. :D

I have seen a graph before that showed the major players over the years... will edit/post when I find it again.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Cost would be nearly impossible to calculate, or I should say I won't be the one to do it. Because first they were free, then $99/2yr, followed by reduced prices and now coupons that make them free, $2.17, $etc. Maybe after putting all that into play you can definitely say that there could be a P* graphed... but would be terribly hard to do as there are hundreds of registrars charging their own fees as compared to the beginning. Then again, you would have to take in CPI (I.E. that first $99 registration is worth $153 in today's dollars), etc. :D.

Wasn't suggesting this level of detail.. obviously with new gTLDs pricing is variable.. I more or less meant the base cost of each TLD * number registered.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wasn't suggesting this level of detail.. obviously with new gTLDs pricing is variable.. I more or less meant the base cost of each TLD * number registered.
I was strictly speaking .com's. ;)

Free > $99 > 100s of registrars all competing (I.E. GoDaddy can be anywhere from a buck to fifteen and others in the eight range). Impossible to figure out a price unless you took when the domain was created, looked at the previous whois info to see where it went, then multiplied yearly with the average... Too many variables to calculate than just number of .com's * today's average registration fee to get a domain market growth by value. The best figure to rely on would be number of .com's * avg. registration fee among registrars of this year only (even then, it would be tens of millions of dollars off, possibly hundreds) since too many factors to go that far in the past to get a figure of actual growth by dollar amount unless all companies opened their books and CPI was factored in. Or, you could just factor the ICANN fees only, which would be much easier. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom