Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

$3,000 a month w/ Domain Parking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothymevans

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the game. Have 110 domains parked with NameDrive. I'm curious, if someone is looking to generate a certain dollar amount a month through parking (while waiting for a domain buyer or to develop the site for content), is there a specific amount of names you recommend to have in a portfolio? Most of mine are 2-3 word keywords - genereric phrase, most are in the sports industry, but some are financial and internet marketing related. I'm thinking I need to get a portfolio of at least 1,000 domains to see any significant return. Obviously it depends on the domain name, but has anyone been able to see any trends?

Thanks for your responses in advance. I look forward to hearing from others' experiences.

Thanks,

-Tim

steven22

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tim,
If you need some cash, i buy names at wholesale prices. let me know what you have and we can talk.

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Tim: Are you selling names or asking how to add to your existing names and increase revenue up to $3K monthly?

If selling there are plenty of people on the forums that buy names (Me included)

If you are asking how to increase revenue...that's a tricky one I think we are all after that. Cut the fat first - if names are not making you money and you don't feel you will be developing some cut them loose. Take that money and invest in names with a proven track record. Plenty of folks sell revenue generating names on these boards. As for the magic number I don't believe it matters how many names you have but rather it's the quality of the name. I know a few people that generate more than 10K monthly from only a handful of names and others with thousands of names that don't earn 10K annually.

Good Luck!

timothymevans

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses ... I'm not looking to sell, necessarily -- more so develop the names I already have. Depending on the name and/or if there is no passion there for developent, I will like you said "cut'm loose". I'm just wondering if there is an optimal way to maximize parked names. There's 10-20 domain name parked monetization serves so I'm looking for the best way to park my names as I wait to develop them. As I mentioned above, I have 110, but in time over the next 6-12 months would like to have 1,000+. Not just random - pull a name out of the hat names, but names that are quality - niches people are searching for etc. ... would I then park 25% at NameDrive where I am now, then 25% w/ SEDO, and then 25% with TrafficClub, and then another 25% at DomainSponsor -- for diversification kind of like a mutual fund?

My other question regarding the industry has to do with diversification of a portfolio ... how do most domainers diversify their portfolio? I have a handful of names in the sports market, along with financial, network marketing, and Christian sectors ... I'm assuming it would be smart to diversify as much as possible. My intentions when I register a domain is to develop the name, but for the right price, sell the name. Any thoughts on portfolio diversifcation?

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WeBuyThe.Com said:
Tim: Are you selling names or asking how to add to your existing names and increase revenue up to $3K monthly?

If selling there are plenty of people on the forums that buy names (Me included)

If you are asking how to increase revenue...that's a tricky one I think we are all after that. Cut the fat first - if names are not making you money and you don't feel you will be developing some cut them loose. Take that money and invest in names with a proven track record. Plenty of folks sell revenue generating names on these boards. As for the magic number I don't believe it matters how many names you have but rather it's the quality of the name. I know a few people that generate more than 10K monthly from only a handful of names and others with thousands of names that don't earn 10K annually.

Good Luck!

Even if I tried I couldnt said the same as good as you.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are no set rules or model in domaining. 50 , 100, 1,000 domains - I think people tend to get in on the ground floor with what they can afford to invest, or maybe a little above what they can afford, then try to build on that with earnings from sales and parking, you can certainly set goals for yourself but stay within budget and work from there. Some domainers diversify as you suggest , others stay in categories they like , it all works if done probably.

Earnings from parking should be taken fully advantage of while you are trying to sell. Parking them across several companies on a percentage of portfolio basis is not a good statregy, park them where each one makes the most - period. So here is where the hard part comes in , you have to be able to evaluate your domains worth at present ,and what it might be worth a few years down the road, so when the renewals come up , do you renew or let it drop? If a name earns minimum $1+ a month average being parked then you have to keep it as its earning you 30%+ interest on your money, if your not at least earning your reg fee back on a name then its decision time , do you put a PPC site under it and go for search engine traffic? is it a hold? is it good enough for resell? You have to be able to make that decision correctly , there are some names that never get parking traffic that wind up selling for $xx,xxx and more , you have to be able to value your names.

timothymevans

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DNJet,

Thanks -- I see what you are saying. I actually got in the game back in the late 90's when you had to buy names from NetSol for 2 yrs @ $70 (college days) so the budget was really tight ... Now that it has been more affordable, I've been getting a few names that I intend to develop and/or sell at the right price.

As for parking companies, how do you know what does what with what industry? I guess that's probably a question of many.

I'm hosting my names -- doing a URL redirect, optimizing title tags / meta keywords, etc. ... is this better than changing the DNS to the parked page company's DNS? What about submitting parked pages to the free URL submission process?

Thanks, guys ... I appreciate the time.

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom