Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

3 letter names

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeD

Soli Deo Gloria
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Over the past couple of years, we have seen the popularity and value of 3 letter .coms rise quickly. 3 letter .nets have also become increasingly valuable. Recently 3 letter .orgs are having some value. What is next? Wil 3 letter .biz, .info, .us names be very valuable in a year or two? What are your thoughts on the future 3 letter market?

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not if they keep coming out with new extensions.

CrazyEightyEight said:
Over the past couple of years, we have seen the popularity and value of 3 letter .coms rise quickly. 3 letter .nets have also become increasingly valuable. Recently 3 letter .orgs are having some value. What is next? Wil 3 letter .biz, .info, .us names be very valuable in a year or two? What are your thoughts on the future 3 letter market?

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JP raises a good point with respect to the influx of new extensions; the deluge certainly contributes to the dilution of the values of “less prominent” extensions in general.

I would say it is difficult to project values at this juncture, but .info, .us, and .biz names should stay well ahead of most of the “new” extensions in terms of three-letter domain values in the future.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 letter coms are simply the cream of the crop.
Nets are ok but command far far less and are not rising in value any where near the rate of dot coms. In fact they ahve leveled out for the most part. Of course there will be those super names that will always command more than the average.
Orgs are probably in the same boat as dot net but I think they may see another little push.

jazzpetals

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so..would you say they are worth renewing? Not the com's of course, I know they are!

Togoodhlth said:
3 letter coms are simply the cream of the crop.
Nets are ok but command far far less and are not rising in value any where near the rate of dot coms. In fact they ahve leveled out for the most part. Of course there will be those super names that will always command more than the average.
Orgs are probably in the same boat as dot net but I think they may see another little push.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're way behind the times. Many 3 letter .info's have sold for $x,xxx, some approaching 5 figures.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no matter what new extensions come out, the older and well established ones will have the lead.
so, .coms AND .nets will increase in value.
So will .orgs.

Now, for .info/us/biz, where it not for a few people grabbing the lot, they probably would have increased in value much slower than they are now, but surely, climb in value they would have.

Reality:
any 3 letter gTLD is worth quite a bit.
com
net
info/org
biz/us
is my take.
So, yes, they right now, they are increasing in value.
Sure, new extensions will slightly lower the value of the 'lesser' gTLDs, but by the time the new extesions catch up....
to little too late.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know of a 3 letter .us that sold for $2k+ just last week. Not so unusual anymore.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There will alway be a higher demand for dictionary 3 letter domains.

men, boy, bat, cat, dog, doc, etc,

(Juniper reminds me all of the time!)

As for "were it not for a few people grabbing the lot".

All that did was slightly quicken the 3 letter demand.
But, it was a natural progression of demand.

If Elequa had not purchased the remaining couple thousand
3 letter .info, this time last year. They would already been gone
by this past summer. All he did was register the last "remaining"
10%. I think it was a brilliant idea. Plus, he helped the remaining
90% stakeholders.

There are more and more companies now thinking outside of their
neighborhood. And, more and more people having access to the internet.

Therefore, I feel the interest in domain names will continue. And, naturally,
everyone wants to get the best they can get for the money.

If I can not have ABC.com. Then, I will have to settle for ABC.us.
Knowing that it sounds better than the Association of Bison Crap as
AssociationBisonCrap.com or AssociatonBisonCrap.net

Or, like some firms do, they have the .com and also the 3 letter ???

(Using the 3 letter tld as the email address.)

zesty

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As investment possibilities go, how many better investments have there been over the last few years than 3-letter domains. In .com, they've risen in wholesale value from about $200 back in 2001 to $1k+ today, just about regardless of letter combo. Likewise, .net names that were selling for $50 a year and half ago are near $200 now on the wholesale level.

Trying to find that type of return on almost any other investment is almost impossible. And even better than that, the number of 3-letter .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz and .us that are not in end-user's hands is dwindling quickly, and supply dictates demand. Even consider the affect of Elequa on the 3-letter marketplace. He's essentially retired thousands of 3-letter Gtld's by registering or buying them and promising never to sell them (a promise I believe he'll keep). That means that of a finite supply of 3-letter name possibilities within the Gtld's (17,576 in each extension), lesser and lesser now remain available for the public to buy from their current owners.

I forecast optimistically that the wholesale values of 3-letter domains will continue to rise. As the 3-letter .coms go, so goes the rest of the 3-letter marketplace. My look at the future is a very rosy one!

Just my $.02. And I am somewhat partial...I currently have a few 3-letter domains of my own.

Great Thread by the way!

:) Andrew

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I am saying is dot coms are way way ahead of all other extenions.
3 leter coms increased in value at a far greater rate than dot nets over the same time period.
3 letter info/biz/us will still increase in value IMO however (and I HOPE I am wrong) I dont think they will see the average price at $1500+ for many years.
Same goes for dot org.

This is a generalization. Some names will sell for high amounts in all extensions. I sold a 3 letter dot cc for $400 a couple weeks ago and a 3 letter org for $2k a couple months ago but that is not the norm. The names were well above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom