Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

5,000 Uniques Per Day And No Clicks

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to ask for advice on a matter.

I recently caught a drop, which is a .net receiving around 5,000 uniques per day, 85% US traffic. Referral traffic is close to 0 according to stats, 99,5% of traffic is type in.

It cas an alexa rank of around 5,000,000. The .com version is some niche social site with zero Alexa rank, so I do not think that this is typo traffic.

When parked at namedrive, it shows 5,000 uniques per day and just 1-2 clicks...which is disapointing.
When I tried Sedo, DS and Voodoo, these companies show 0 or very low traffic. When moved back to ND, traffic stats again show x,xxx visits per day, as described above.

Is there any way to analyze this traffic? If this is bot traffic, how do I find out?

Thanks,
Petros

Domain summit 2024

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alexa Rank 5,000,000 is not 5,000 uniques a day. Some parking companies show bot traffic. If you are getting 5,000 unique and only 1-2 clicks then I can guarantee it is all bot traffic.

That is why when you move it to other parking companies it shows 0-little traffic, because different parking companies count different types of traffic. So, to sum it up, your domain is not getting 5,000 uniques a day, it is 5,000 bots a day. You did not mention the domain type, but let me guess, Bookmarking domain, right?

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply. I am aware of everything that you mentioned, it's not a bookmarking domain, however.
What I need to know is how to analyze this traffic and how to find out whether they are really bots...

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't used NameDrive in a while, do they show referral data? If so, you could analyze that, it would be a giveaway. Also, if there is a lot of Asia traffic, India, China, etc.. then that is also a sign it is bot traffic. You could also use http://www.majesticseo.com/reports/site-explorer or http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/ and see if there is a ton of backlinks with irrelevant anchor text or a ton of backlinks from a low number of referring domains and that would show that the domain has been spammed.

Most likely it is people hitting the domain from tools such as SEnuke and Magic Submitter trying to "spam" it with backlinks, etc...

Last edited:

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks.... as I said, 85% is US traffic.... and while ND shows referral data, it shows that the name gets 99% type-ins...
I used the sites u mentioned, I see a ton of links with irrelevant anchor text in various blog post replues...what does this mean? that the traffic comes from those blog links?

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Naw, it means people are hitting the domain from software such as SENuke trying to post backlinks or it could be a traffic bot. The domain has been spammed.

Sorry for mentioning thing you already outlinned in your post, I just read it entirely :)

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
now this may come off as a stupid question, but what purpose does this serve? Sending useless bot traffic to a domain name..

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of reasons, some idiots think it will boost SEO, others do it to improve Alexa rank, etc. Some do it to commit click fraud. For example send fake traffic and then use something like Tor for example to click on a ads, so that the CTR looks right. There are a lot of reasons. Bot traffic is fairly cheap, like $3 for 100,000 hits or something like that. There are also sites that pay you to visit sites, etc... So it may be "real human" visitors. It could be so many different things, but the bogus backlinks point at the domain being spammed most likely though.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in general

only these type of domains have convertible traffic:

expired website names
typos
generic 1. 2. 3 worders/exact match phrases
typos of above

exceptions are short domains and numeric

outside of that, it's usually bots/image impression hits

imo....

Helmuts

DNForum.com
★★★★★
Reaction score
the only decent way:
  1. remove it from parking
  2. put up a simple 1 html page
  3. set up G analytics and hook them up with webmaster tools
  4. .. allow for the traffic to flow for at least 7 days
.. enjoy the clean and trustwortly information about your visitors

// as for the alexa - that is a different topic..

Domain.BUZZ

Tim Culpepper
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the only decent way:
  1. remove it from parking
  2. put up a simple 1 html page
  3. set up G analytics and hook them up with webmaster tools
  4. .. allow for the traffic to flow for at least 7 days
.. enjoy the clean and trustwortly information about your visitors

// as for the alexa - that is a different topic..
This is by far the best method to analyze traffic to a recently acquired domain.

Karim Nasser

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, before parking a domain, point it to a basic website that you host with Google analytics code.

Messileonel

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You are not getting genuine traffic 100% sure. If you have hired someone or have attained the services of some seo expert then he has mis-guided you. He is sending that traffic from a spam bot. You'll see the traffic is coming from US but in actual it's from a software. meta viral | viral stuff | viral image | viral content sites Try to optimize your website and check if your site shows results in SERP'S. Then you'll have unique page views. And also submit your site ate webmaster and Google analytics.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom