Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

$5.95 domain registration????!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
iRegistrations " https://www.iregistrations.com/register.shtml " is providing $5.95 domain registration. I thought they have to pay $6 to Verisign for each registered domain name. Am I correct? And if that is correct, how can they afford losing 5 cents on each domain??? :huh:

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
2.6.4 The initial 1 month provision of these services is free when a new domain is registered through iRegistrations during this promotion. iRegistrations normally charges a standard rate of US$19.99 per month for hosting plus $19.99 for search engine submission.

2.6.5 Registrant can cancel these services for any reason during the initial 30 day period without incurring any charge other than the US$5.95 already billed for domain registration.

2.6.7 Registrant can cancel these services at any time by logging into the account with the associated username and password. Cancellation within the free 1 month period incurs no service charges beyond the $5.95/year for the domain registration. Cancellation after the initial 1 month period incurs an administration fee equal to one months service fee of $39.98 in addition to the service fees for any months or part months beyond the free trial period. While payment is made monthly in advance no refunds will be awarded for partial periods paid for but for which the service is cancelled.

https://www.iregistrations.com/terms.shtml

JoDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registrant can cancel these services for any reason during the initial 30 day period without incurring any charge other than the US$5.95 already billed for domain registration.

You can still get the domain for $5.95 if you cancelled the hosting before the first 30 days trial period.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have 3 emails threatening legal action from them for chargebacks
Forget 'em!!

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You cancel
You get no receipt
Avoid 'em like the plague or get ready to change cc nos

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lol i have seen this alot.

THey are usually hosts who advertise domain rego for $0-$6 and slip in the part where you must be hosting with them.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's good we have trade journal publications like DNJournal to start chronicling this industry a little better. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It'd be nice if someone wrote an article on all the ideas and sales mechanisms registrars, resellers or ISPs have tried to use to SELL names/services related to domain names.

I was reading this old article recently (Week of December 3, 2001):
http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2001/12/03/story2.html
Investors drove down the stock price of VeriSign last week, based on a report by a Piper Jaffray analyst that the "zone file" of .com, .net and .org names had decreased in size in October, indicating that more names had expired than new names had been registered. [--SNIP--] The confusion about the zone file contraction arose, said Wiener, from the ongoing expiration in the fourth quarter of a projected 1.5 million domain name registrations that had been distributed late last year in giveaway promotions. Domain name registrars and registration resellers had given away hundreds of thousands of names in the hopes that registrants would pay for renewal at the end of the first year. But only 2 to 3 percent of promotional registrants actually have been choosing to pay for their names, rather than the 13 or even 90 percent that some registrars projected would convert to paying-customer status.
Many registrars, resellers, and ISP's are still doing crazy things in an effort to be competitive and drive down prices further to lure consumers in.

The closest idea I had to something insane was having a 50% off day occur once a month for regular customers. I kept mulling it over but I eventually conceded that I couldn't perceive any sustainable implementation for the offering. Kind of like the "free-shipping" (called "True Price") Outpost.com used to offer, before having to back-off in various ways. Major online stores are still flirting with the concept, as it still seems to be the holy grail for consumers.

Free Domains (or really, really cheap ones) seem to be the holy grail in this industry. Seems like some of these notions just seem to float languidly down the river of bad ideas.

There is such a strategy called being a "loss leader" that fits with these tactics:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp
The strategy of offering a product or service at a considerable discount and loss of profit in order to attract future business.
A common practice when first entering a market, a loss leader's job is to introduce new customers to a service or product in hopes of building future relationships.

It's highstakes gambling all the way...

~ Nexus

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Nexus, how did you get to be so smart?? :)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment. :)

~ Nexus

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus

There is such a strategy called being a "loss leader" that fits with these tactics:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/lossleader.asp
The strategy of offering a product or service at a considerable discount and loss of profit in order to attract future business.
A common practice when first entering a market, a loss leader's job is to introduce new customers to a service or product in hopes of building future relationships.

It's highstakes gambling all the way...

~ Nexus

Loss Leaders are used all the time..

SafeWay sells DVDs and losses $2-$4 each when thier on sale.

Its a great techiniche if used properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom