Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

60 Day Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjamaican

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Basically I Would like someone to elaborate on the 60 day rule. So basically if I register a domain with lets say godaddy, I have to wait 60 days before I can transfer the domain to someone else on godaddy or a differnet company? Is there any way around this? Why is this rule in place? Thanx.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can push to an account within the same Registrar but cannot transfer out within those 60 days - will also apply after a domain has been transferred into a new registrar, some even impose such restrictions after even minor changes being made to the whois or other domain information.

Registrars will often say that the 60-day rule is an ICANN requirement - it isn't, it's just that ICANN allow it if the registrar wants to impose it.

zjamaican

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks when I spoke with a GoDaddy sales person via phone he told me that I could not even transfer the domain to someone with a GoDaddy account before 60 days. I guess he doenst know what hes talking about? You saying that you CAN transfer to someone within the same registrar before 60 days for sure.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have not heard that you can't transfer within Godaddy during the 60 days and very much doubt that, however Godaddy are one of the ones that restrict you even for an ammendment to detail, so it's possible.

mystery250

Domain Dreamer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I transfered a domain name to a different account at Godaddy, three days after registration. So I'm sure that you can transfer to other accounts within Godaddy.

eSology

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
zjamaican said:
Thanks when I spoke with a GoDaddy sales person via phone he told me that I could not even transfer the domain to someone with a GoDaddy account before 60 days.

Not true. You can transfer ownership (push into another GoDaddy account) without waiting 60 days. After a new registration or push into another GoDaddy account the clock starts and you need to wait 60 days before it can be transferred out to another registrar. Two different circumstances.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The whole point is that Godaddy sucks big time.
They are desperate to keep the domains, which makes me want to leave them even more.

James

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
some even impose such restrictions after even minor changes being made to the whois or other domain information.

According to godaddy support

Dear Jim,

Thank you for contacting customer support. Changing the name servers and phone number for the domain will not start the 60 days. Changing the name, including just the middle initial, or company in the contact information will start the 60 day period.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom