Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A .com name wanted by a Fortune 100 company

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgeisel

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I apologize that I can't put the domain name up, but my lawyer does not want me to quite yet. I have long owned and used a single-word .com domain name that a Fortune 100 company now wants for a branded multimedia portal to compete with the leading audio and video ones, hopefully producing revenues in the tens to hundreds of millions of dollars or more. They are already using the same word as my domain name for their online portal, but they have an awkward URL that has the name as a subdomain before the company name and .com.

So, can anyone give me a general idea of what such a domain may be worth. I am also supposed to get three "professional" appraisals, but I have read the debates here on their real value.

Thanks for any help you can give, and I apologize again that I can't list the name quite yet. - T. Geisel.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tgeisel said:
I apologize that I can't put the domain name up, but my lawyer does not want me to quite yet. I have long owned and used a single-word .com domain name that a Fortune 100 company now wants for a branded multimedia portal to compete with the leading audio and video ones, hopefully producing revenues in the tens to hundreds of millions of dollars or more. They are already using the same word as my domain name for their online portal, but they have an awkward URL that has the name as a subdomain before the company name and .com.

So, can anyone give me a general idea of what such a domain may be worth. I am also supposed to get three "professional" appraisals, but I have read the debates here on their real value.

Thanks for any help you can give, and I apologize again that I can't list the name quite yet. - T. Geisel.
Is your name Theodor by any chance? :)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lease the name to them and retain ownership of the domain if they are not willing to pay you in the xxx,xxx to x,xxx,xxx range for it

Also, did they make you an offer for it yet? (they obviously expressed their interest since you seem to know exactly whom "they" are)

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
without knowing the name, you`ll never get a fair appraisal.

Ubiquitous

Since 1997
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
reg fee.

lyndonmaxewell

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Any threads that do not have a domain mentioned when asking for appraisals will be moved to Registration/TLD Discussion areas.

It isnt even fair if you do not post the domain name in the thread title and get away with it because Everyone else are following the rules. IF you cannot post the name, then you shd move your discussion to another place.

I believe the Admins shd move this thread to the appropriate section instead.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
Lease the name to them and retain ownership of the domain if they are not willing to pay you in the xxx,xxx to x,xxx,xxx range for it

Also, did they make you an offer for it yet? (they obviously expressed their interest since you seem to know exactly whom "they" are)

If presented with the same situation that's what I would do as well.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We can`t appraise a name that we don`t know. Sorry!

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

"Professional" appraisals = waste of money in this situation - the only people who can value your name are you and the buyer; and you are holding all the cards.

You've got the name they want, in fact it sounds as though they need it, and they have got the cash to pay for it. This is domainers heaven!

Have you had many offers previously? How keen are you to sell? Are you using the name at the mo, and if so, how will that impact on your business?
And perhaps most important - how much do you want for it?

Best of luck - Jas

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not PM the name to a few on the boards? Like most names they are worth as much as someone is willing to pay. What is their offer?

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What are we supposed to appraise if we do not know the domain ? Having said that , I would lease the domain for 1-2 years and seek a percentage of the revenues generated by domain.

URLtrader

lawpal

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No Name = No Appraisal

Like Dry Cleaning

No Ticket - No Laundry

:painkiller:

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
moved

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont like the fact that you are trying to compare what they are gonna make with their portal to what your name should be worth, if they plow millions in any word it will make money, please dont give us the "multi media industry is multi-billion..blabla and therefore your domain should be worth whatever,... nevertheless, there is some "marketing genius" behind this fortune 100 plan and usually they are so arrogant that they want the name they think is the best and they insist on it like a little kid, so I think you can ask for a lot, depending on how generic and susbtitutable your word is, and how good your word is of course (there are many posts here that think that some BS dictionary word noneone has ever even heard of has the same status as a top notch .com just because it is the past tense of some urban dictionary word.)..anyway..ask for a lot, or rather ask them to make an offer, go with common sense and dont get too greedy and also take everything that your lawyer says and does with a grain of salt..

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Low - Mid XXX,XXX is fair price i think for a sale to the end user. They won't pay X,XXX,XXX unless its a fabulous generic one word name.

flybuzz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1 million sounds good. But, sometimes company change minds then you get nothing. So you have to balance it out and get it settled asap.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well the best thing about online appraisal services is that they generally overvalue the domains a LOT

shutuzhe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
假!!!就一个å*—,我只说一次!

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am sure you are aware of the appraissal scam going around, but when you said you are supposed to get 3 professional appraissals, thats the same amount asked for in the scam only they link to there 3 appraissal sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom