Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

A few questions for the pros....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been in the internet biz quite a while have 100+ domains (1 blue chip) and I'm getting the bug again. Wanted to ask a few question from you pros....

1) Everybody loves the parked domains making $50 per month...but what about the domains that make $5 or even $2 per month...200 names at $3 per month is better than nothing, right?

2) Are there any scams people try to pull before selling the domains? I have to imagine it is easy to pump up parked traffic and clicks, as well as the overture numbers....makes me nervous when I'm looking to buy.

3) How do you decide to pull the trigger and sell your names? I'm always overly paranoid that I'll sell for $50 and realize IBM now owns xyz245ld7.info

thanks in advance...

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gmac17 said:
I've been in the internet biz quite a while have 100+ domains (1 blue chip) and I'm getting the bug again. Wanted to ask a few question from you pros....

1) Everybody loves the parked domains making $50 per month...but what about the domains that make $5 or even $2 per month...200 names at $3 per month is better than nothing, right?

2) Are there any scams people try to pull before selling the domains? I have to imagine it is easy to pump up parked traffic and clicks, as well as the overture numbers....makes me nervous when I'm looking to buy.

3) How do you decide to pull the trigger and sell your names? I'm always overly paranoid that I'll sell for $50 and realize IBM now owns xyz245ld7.info

thanks in advance...
1) Yes, little Times alot is quite something in the end of things.
2) cant be so bad if the purchase was made here, it can be disputed here if it was a scam, Dnforum.com is really good about that, so i guess in that way, its a little better.
3) Sell your names, well, consult a couple of people here about the offer, or just other domainers in general, and most of all, if you think it seems fair enough, well, take it, no one can really be sure of the future you know.

hope this helped, and i, by no means am a pro, but i just have noticed these things while domaining. :)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gmac17 said:

thanks in advance...

1) Remember, a name only has to make $0.02 per day to break even, the rest is profit. If you have enough names making $0.25 you will eventually run into riches.

2) Yes, this happens everywhere, although it isn't that common. You have to do your research, look at all the stats, back links, ovt score and domain history. Remember if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

3) You don't know, you have to sell your names for a price you will be happy with. It doesn't matter if Joe Blow buys the name or Microsoft, if you sold for a price you are happy with then it was a good sale.

Hope that helps :)

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A single big domain is better than many little ones due to the overhead of reregistering all the little domains. Definitly worth having them though :)

This $0.02/day thing that I keep hearing sounds a bit daft to me. Sure, you'll make a profit over the year but if a domain is profit making you'll want to reregister it, and there's another $6.95. So after one year you spent $6.95 to reg it plus $6.95 to rereg, and you've only made $7.30 of the domain - it's gonna take about 20 years before you can show a profit and have the domain registered for a year.

I try to get domains making a minimum of $0.04 a day, this way I'm in profit after I've rereged it the first year.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The $0.02 isnt an exact measurement, its used to show a domain doesn't have to make much to be profitable

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
croupier said:
A single big domain is better than many little ones due to the overhead of reregistering all the little domains. Definitly worth having them though :)

This $0.02/day thing that I keep hearing sounds a bit daft to me. Sure, you'll make a profit over the year but if a domain is profit making you'll want to reregister it, and there's another $6.95. So after one year you spent $6.95 to reg it plus $6.95 to rereg, and you've only made $7.30 of the domain - it's gonna take about 20 years before you can show a profit and have the domain registered for a year.

I try to get domains making a minimum of $0.04 a day, this way I'm in profit after I've rereged it the first year.

it was an EXAMPLE

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love domains that make $2 plus a month, especially as I buy mainly to sell and not for traffic. This gives me a nice little income on those names until such time as I sell.

I also like the 2 cents a day plus (60 cents a month) domains, as they also "pay for the renewal" while I wait for a buyer.

I normally sell for at least $100 to $200 and normally more. Some people will have a much higher minimum (and probably higher quality domains).

As along as I have a rough idea of what the domain is worth in my opinion, and as long as the purchaser doesn't persuade me to drop the price too much, I'm not bothered if the domain ends up in the hands of a big company. I got an amount I was happy for. Although as I said, that amount will always be considerably in excess of US$50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom