Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

A Good Time to be a Domainer: Domain Registrations Increase by 10% in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There has never been a better time to dabble in the domaining than now. The demand for domains has never been higher as more and more businesses migrate online and the internet penetrates even deeper into our daily lives. Case in point: domain registrations shot up by 10% YoY in 2011 to reach 225m, according [...]

More...

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the last skill.

Build a building, change diaper, write a romantic song. lol

So, you should be a warrior, a politician, and businessman, and what else? Sigh

Why does it have to be hard work, and hard work? So, how many hours do you work, Adam?

If so, there should be courses of other things as well, besides domaining :).

Are there any domainers out there who goes to the beach every weekend, sit around and drink beer with friends in the evening, and just play video games with their kids after school?

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Are there any domainers out there who goes to the beach every weekend, sit around and drink beer with friends in the evening, and just play video games with their kids after school?

I go to the beach every weekend, sit around and drink beer with friends in the evening, and just play video games with my kids after school:)

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I go to the beach every weekend, sit around and drink beer with friends in the evening, and just play video games with my kids after school:)

I mean a good domainer lol.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry Adam, strongly disagree with that. IMO, the main reason registrations increased are lots of newbies plus uninformed businesses buying worthless names combined with new extensions such as .co

Just look at the frequency of sales on forums and you will see very few with offers or replies in the 100s of sales threads every day because they are 98% worthless or semi-worthless names.

This is probaby the worse time ever to be a domainer (new domainers in particular) what with it being so hard to own typein traffic names, combined with ongoing lower ppc revenue plus ever increasing registry renewal fees.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lmao too funny. not that I know if he is or not. just a funny potshot !!!

How good of a domainer can he be? He has 3 ratings. LOL

Maybe 3 good sales? buys?

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How good of a domainer can he be? He has 3 ratings. LOL

Maybe 3 good sales? buys?

Probably has 3 for the reason David stated... Domainers do not give away good names, most sales are names that are not producing income, traffic, or end user inquiries, aside form 2,3,4L quality domains, which sell very quickly on this forum. Other than the discussion threads, this forum is just a recycle center for those random keywords we seem to see everyday cycle through.

I have to agree with David, if you look beyond the surface of those weekly newsletters, unless your sales are printed in them, they are just hyping up a new class of newbies to go out, and compete for the daily crop of garbage the big boys leave them, just enough to give them hope. Most of the good names are held in safe portfolios, and have been past on to end users. Sure there is nice names dropping, names that 3 years ago could be bought for minimum bids, are now selling for 3-4 figures in auctions. It is one thing to invest xx, and hold for an end user, compared to spending xxx-xxxx, and have to hold, then flip for x,xxx-xx,xxx to an end user who has more fixed priced options to beat you down against than ever.

If you been in the business a while, you know the good names from bad, and can use that to save a lot of dead weight. There seems to be a lot of people who see a single sale such a KeywordCloud.com sell for $10K, and think because they own ANYRANDOMKEYWORDCloud.com, their name is worth $5-10K also, just not how it works. There are random times when a off beat sale will skew the norm, but most of that money usually gets reinvested into an over eager auction buy, or more bad names, or the renewal of even worse names. So now we have a new class of people, bombarding end users on a daily basis with crap names to the point they are unwilling to even deal with domainers, and like the fixed price process, which is mainly hugedomains, buydomains, and other dropcatchers with enough connections who can catch the quality drops, and flip them quick for $xxx-1,xxx getting most of the action. Where the newbies are forced to outbid each other in auctions for high priced drops, that later become unflippable at profitable margins, when factoring in purchase price, and portfolio carrying costs.

Being an educated domain investor you know what areas to stay away from sometimes no matter how good the name is, based on factors of that industry, and how hard it has been to sell into that market, compared to other markets where you have established connections, and know which names sell well. This is something that could take a newbie 1-4 years to clue into. There is no doubt more small businesses are listening to their consumers, and finding an online real estate front, sales are up, but I think average sales prices have fallen.

Last edited:

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably has 3 for the reason David stated... Domainers do not give away good names, most sales are names that are not producing income, traffic, or end user inquiries, aside form 2,3,4L quality domains, which sell very quickly on this forum. Other than the discussion threads, this forum is just a recycle center for those random keywords we seem to see everyday cycle through.

I have to agree with David, if you look beyond the surface of those weekly newsletters, unless your sales are printed in them, they are just hyping up a new class of newbies to go out, and compete for the daily crop of garbage the big boys leave them, just enough to give them hope. Most of the good names are held in safe portfolios, and have been past on to end users. Sure there is nice names dropping, names that 3 years ago could be bought for minimum bids, are now selling for 3-4 figures in auctions. It is one thing to invest xx, and hold for an end user, compared to spending xxx-xxxx, and have to hold, then flip for x,xxx-xx,xxx to an end user who has more fixed priced options to beat you down against than ever. If you been in the business a while, you know the good names from bad, and can use that to save a lot of dead weight. There seems to be a lot of people who see a single sale such a KeywordCloud.com sell for $10K, and think because they own ANYRANDOMKEYWORDCloud.com, their name is worth $5-10K also, just not how it works. There are random times when a off beat sale will skew the norm, but most of that money usually gets reinvested into an over eager auction buy, or more bad names, or the renewal of even worse names. So now we have a new class of people, bombarding end users on a daily basis with crap names to the point they are unwilling to even deal with domainers, and like the fixed price process, which is mainly hugedomains, buydomains, and other dropcatchers with enough connections who can catch the quality drops, and flip them quick for $xxx-1,xxx getting most of the action. Where the newbies are forced to outbid each other in auctions for high priced drops, that later become unflippable and profitable margins, when factoring in purchase price, and portfolio carrying costs.

Maybe this is the reason why we don't see Adam post his names for sale much. Yet, he sells names that are in millions of dollars. And Rick Scharts probably has O ratings in the forum (wonder what his username is and like to check), and he's probably sell more killing names than most.

cbk, i was just joking, my man. I tell myself I'd be working 3 hours a day and 4 days a week. One day, I've been saying to myself for years already. So far it still hasn't happened. It seems like those who are successful are working even harder. Even Rick Schwartz said it in his interview. Adam admits and preaches the same. I remember him posting somewhere, he said he has money, but not the time.

Why is that? People got time got no money? If you got money, you got no time?

Back to domaining, I've been working at least 5 hours per week, and this is part time. Do you guys think if I work 24 hours like Adam, I'll be a good domainer?

Why is domaining complicated. Big sigh.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is the reason why we don't see Adam post his names for sale much. Yet, he sells names that are in millions of dollars. And Rick Scharts probably has O ratings in the forum (wonder what his username is and like to check), and he's probably sell more killing names than most.

cbk, i was just joking, my man. I tell myself I'd be working 3 hours a day and 4 days a week. One day, I've been saying to myself for years already. So far it still hasn't happened. It seems like those who are successful are working even harder. Even Rick Schwartz said it in his interview. Adam admits and preaches the same. I remember him posting somewhere, he said he has money, but not the time.

Why is that? People got time got no money? If you got money, you got no time?

Back to domaining, I've been working at least 5 hours per week, and this is part time. Do you guys think if I work 24 hours like Adam, I'll be a good domainer?

Why is domaining complicated. Big sigh.

You can work till you drop dead of exhaustion, until your back is hunched, until your eyes are burning, unless you have the tools, money, and know how to sort the good from the bad, chances are you are not going to make any money.

The thing about the people holding some very generic items in their portfolios, they are not pressured to sell their names at below market values. If you hear what Rick S has stated he can afford to wait out that 1 end user who will give him what he wants, and then some in terms of return, and equity.

Most domainers do not have this luxury, that is what seperates these two classes. There are many successful flippers out there, but they are disciplined, they have practiced their trade day in, and day out. With the right tools, and a nice bankroll, 5 hours a week is enough to get the job done, but there is a lot of back end research, and sometimes auctions can take much of a early morning, or afternoon. For the typical 9-5 person this is not a luxury they can afford to run away from their desk, or job, and go back, and forth in an auction for 45 minutes spending their monthly salary on a single domain.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know what the percentage of drops were in 2011 compared to prior years?

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I mean a good domainer lol.

:hail:

lmao too funny. not that I know if he is or not. just a funny potshot !!!

:hail:

Agreed.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The numbers alone imo don't tell the story. Is it, from a domainer perspective, really a good thing to see the number of registrations go up? If registrations increase because of more demand from endusers, that would be very promising indeed. But if the number is up because speculators are registering more and more crappy names that they try to market to endusers using words like "pronouncable" "brandable" or "top level", that would actually something to be worried about.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with David.

I have few good names which I acquired for years that pay it owns and get some extra. Nowadays I can't find an affordable premium names to add to my portfolio. All in high 4 to 6 figures.

Newbies get the worst names, maybe 1-3 percent will be successful if they have good investment capital and strategy. Sometime you will find motivational posts that make money. This will be a continuous cycle for new extensions to come. My 2cents for newbie, don't believe by only reading, study the business and learn. There is no magic wand in domain business.

IMHO

Sorry Adam, strongly disagree with that. IMO, the main reason registrations increased are lots of newbies plus uninformed businesses buying worthless names combined with new extensions such as .co

Just look at the frequency of sales on forums and you will see very few with offers or replies in the 100s of sales threads every day because they are 98% worthless or semi-worthless names.

This is probaby the worse time ever to be a domainer (new domainers in particular) what with it being so hard to own typein traffic names, combined with ongoing lower ppc revenue plus ever increasing registry renewal fees.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While there may have been a better time to get into domaining, it's never too late. Yes, it's getting more difficult every day but the opportunities are there. You have to seize them.

Volume of registrations is always increasing because of end user demand, speculation doesn't account for all the growth of course.
The supply of domain names can be virtually infinite but quality will always be in short supply. So if you own quality domains, time is no your side.

But it is also a good time to enter domaining and fail miserably: there are plenty of newbie traps like bad education, hype, automated appraisal tools, and distractions like new extensions on which newbies will continue to waste a lot of money and get burnt.

The future is bright for the ccTLDs. I don't think there is much money to be made in alt extensions, unless you are a registrar, registry or insider. Note to newbies: invest in what works today, not what is touted as the next big thing by vested interests.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree, I don't think speculation accounts for all the registration increase. The internet is still growing in many parts of the world. Many companies also register lots of domains to protect their brands, some of which I think gets excessive.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is the reason why we don't see Adam post his names for sale much. Yet, he sells names that are in millions of dollars.

Probably because he knows most all active forum members are basically bottom feeders and very low end resellers who rarely if ever will pay a reasonable price. That's why I do not list my names here.

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, if 250 millions names are registered, how many are active website? How many belong to domainers, who are just holding on to them? Anyone have the statistic? I've been checking out names to see if they are available, and I see that a bunch are parked or not active. So I have a feeling that many names are just investment names held by domain investors.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Probably because he knows most all active forum members are basically bottom feeders and very low end resellers who rarely if ever will pay a reasonable price. That's why I do not list my names here.

Adam knows well that most members can't afford his names. What a smart guy. I like it when he says, buy from domainers, but don't sell to domainers.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam knows well that most members can't afford his names. What a smart guy. I like it when he says, buy from domainers, but don't sell to domainers.

Good point but not so sure the members are so poor. A fair number I believe are also executives, professionals, business owners, doctors, etc who do have some money but not necessarily 6 or 7 figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom