Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A list of the BAD Guys, like a credit report service

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good sized list of people no one should EVER do business with. Most are buyers that feel they can make purchase agreements and never pay. Some, like a guy today, have made physical threats when I called to ask about payment that was promised. Here he is:

> Buyer Name.....: James Lent
> Phone..........: 714-350-3353
> Email..........: [email protected]

His reason for not paying? "I don't have to pay anything because you don't have my signature." Real nice guy (cough), and before he got to the threats he told me he was 'also working with other domain resellers'.

I'm sure others have 'customer black lists', so I was wondering if it would be a legal issue of they were shared? Is there interest in this?

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i know there are ftc rules prohibiting the publishing of people's names in order to collect debts, but scammers are another issue imo. (maybe berryhill will comment if he has a chance) if someone were to buy and develop a domain like cyberscammers.com:-D they could probably have it on a general (free) basis for basic information and/or on a paid subscriber basis for more details regarding the scam. i think the interest in the domain industry would be high and seems to be needed nowadays.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Name and shame them.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's a solution: Never transfer a domain without full payment cleared in your account.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DaddyHalbucks said:
Yes, there are rules!

I believe the controlling law is called the Fair Credit Collection Practices Act. Look here:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode15/usc_sec_15_00001692---d000-.html

Definitely get a legal opinion BEFORE you do it.

That is actually the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and it is oppressive for collection agencies. The good news is that none of you (presumably) actually qualify as 3rd party debt collectors and therefore would not be subject to this law.

I am not a lawyer, but I am a debt collector, and this is a legal opinion. :)

By the way... here is an afterthought.

If you happen to get a signed agreement for a domain purchase and the buyer backs out, you can turn that over to a collection agency which does have the ability to report the transgression on their official credit report. If nothing else, when junior grows up and wants to get a mortgage, he may come begging to pay off his debt.

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well look at it this way, You are doing nothing more than I see at alot of small business in my local town, they have a list on the wall, with copies of bad checks, not only are the showing the persons name and address and phone number but there bad beat checks with account numbers and everything else on them.

It is not illegal in my state for them to do that.

Dont see a problem here with it.

( I am not a lawyer so do not take the information I give you seriously it is only truthful to the best of my knowledge)

Blarian

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have specific people you want to name with proof, post them on the People to avoid dealing with forum; but be sure to back your claims to keep the notice live. If you title the name of your post with their name or their DNF User ID, it will be harder for others to get scammed by them.

But, yes I think there would be a significiant interest in the list if you could back up all your claims.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the name. I appreciate knowing who backs out of deals and/or resorts to threats. Shame! His phone number appears to be a cell phone based out of Anaheim, California.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:
Here's a solution: Never transfer a domain without full payment cleared in your account.

That's not a solution: The seller loses by wasting time dealing with the bogus sale, but more importantly taking the name OFF THE MARKET while waiting for a payment that never arrives. If it's via a broker like Sedo, it's off the market for at least 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom