Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale A little clarification needed regarding ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know someone mentioned this just recently but cannot find the thread.

This is an example...

Lets say I find a name I like ABC.bc.ca for example and the owner will sell me the name and claims I can use it simply as ABC.ca, is this true?

When I request transfer will it be for ABC.ca ? Or ABC.bc.ca ? Both have whois information that matches with differing creation dates.

Domain Days 2024

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it the same owner?

That's what you need to know. If it is. You need to transfer both. So you can have complete rights to the name.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I own abc.bc.ca and sell it to you, the transfer will be for abc.bc.ca. If none of the other extension including the direct .ca isn't registered, they are all yours. If other extentions are registered, even to the same owner you get only abc.bc.ca. Lets say I own company.ca. I could register company.bc.ca and sell it you and keep company.ca for myself.

D.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I own abc.bc.ca and sell it to you, the transfer will be for abc.bc.ca. If none of the other extension including the direct .ca isn't registered, they are all yours. If other extentions are registered, even to the same owner you get only abc.bc.ca. Lets say I own company.ca. I could register company.bc.ca and sell it you and keep company.ca for myself.

D.

Correct and some registrars will even put through requests to owners of provincial domains where the plain .ca is not registered asking to allow the registration to go forward for the .ca version! As if! :smilewinkgrin:

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I request transfer will it be for ABC.ca ? Or ABC.bc.ca ?

You need to be specific in your agreement with the seller, whether the buyer acquires abc.bc.ca and then creates abc.ca for himself, or whether the seller retains abc.bc.ca and is creating abc.ca for the buyer.
(Be careful that the buyer is not agreeing to buy abc.bc.ca ONLY, and just prior to the transfer completion, the seller creates abc.ca, .on.ca, etc. for himself to keep)

Ricks

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, if the seller does sell you abc.bc.ca and no other versions of it exist, then after its transferred to you it's a simple process to register ABC.ca at the same registrar. I've done it online at Namepros and 10 dollar. Then you have both! (and can just let abc.bc.ca expire next year)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah just make sure the same name is not taken in any other province subdomain.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah just make sure the same name is not taken in any other province subdomain.

Now I am confused, what exactly do you mean?

For example if I bought ABC.ca what would matter if someone had ABC.on.ca, I know it could exist and have a seperate owner but so what?

Any examples where this is an issue? I thought you needed the .ca first to create those other extension therefore it is a non issue since I would own the .ca and any further extesion created in conjunction with the name would be up to me. The existing one(s) like abc.on.ca for example are not under my control but again, how is that an issue?

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ricks explained it well.
Suppose you want to register abc.ca but you can't because abc.on.ca is owned by somebody else. Purchase abc.on.ca, then you can get the .ca. Then you can drop abc.on.ca (no longer needed).
However if the name exists at another provincial level eg. abc.qc.ca this won't work.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok ok I see, scared me for a second. lol

In my case both the .ca and .bc.ca exist, same owner but clearly I am wanting to buy the .ca as the .bc.ca would give me no ownership rights to the .ca as he already has it registered seperately, basically if I bought just the .bc.ca I would end up crying myself to sleep at night. :)

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One more thing. Lets say you owned abc.ca and wanted to register abc.bc.ca and sell it to someone in BC. Then after, you would need his written permission if you wanted to register abc.ab.ca and sell it to someone else. If someone own abc.ab.ca and someone else own abc.bc.ca and you buy abc.bc.ca, you would need abc.ab.ca written permission to register abc.ca. Probably a permission that would cost you a lot of money. I like to meet the genius that came up with that system just to see how he looks.

D.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If someone own abc.ab.ca and someone else own abc.bc.ca and you buy abc.bc.ca, you would need abc.ab.ca written permission to register abc.ca. Probably a permission that would cost you a lot of money. I like to meet the genius that came up with that system just to see how he looks.

D.

I see so if ABC.ca was not registered yet but ABC.bc.ca and ABC.on.ca was, either would need the others permission to get the .ca ?

My only question there is how did the two others come to exist without the .ca already existing and belong to someone? I am not following this part.

Basically at the end of the day, be sure and buy the .ca :)

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember late 90s and early 2000 lots of business were registering the provincial extension instead of the .ca direct. In those days hosting companies were registering their client's business domain names. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think in those days you needed a business presence in more than one province to own the .ca direct, otherwise you had to stick with the provincial extension. When it changed around 2001-02, any Canadian resident could register a dot .ca and then the written permission gig started.

I also like to learn more about that.

Something sure, the guys that own domains like dot.ca, hosting.ca, web.ca, internet.ca and those didn't happen to put that domain in a registrar company and realized it's available it was given to them just like in politics.

D.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone...recently joined, this is first comment.

It's good practise when buying a .ca to check to see if any ptld's (provincial tld) are registered. If not it should be part of the deal (if its important to you and you dont know the seller) that the seller does not register any of the ptlds before closing as that has happened before. If there are none registered you may be considering that as part of the value of the domain...i.e. the unilateral right to register the ptlds which would be lost if a late registration was snuck in and now two members are on the domain requiring joint consent for registration of any further ptlds. This may or may not be legal but it is certainly not ethical imo and troublesome.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, certainly something to look out for...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom