Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

A new concept to make money on domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewdog

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ever thought of instead of selling domains / websites, you could rent them out? Like someone would pay you to redirect your high traffic domain to their website for 30 days. It might not make any more than a parking page, but just a thought.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rewdog said:
Ever thought of instead of selling domains / websites, you could rent them out? Like someone would pay you to redirect your high traffic domain to their website for 30 days. It might not make any more than a parking page, but just a thought.

PPC?

Rewdog

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ppc doesn't guarauntee a click to the advertiser

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rewdog said:

This has already been going on for years, although I don't know how successful people have been. I wonder if Duke could publish some data on that - that would be rather interesting. The previous owner of beef.com may have rented it out before the six-figure sale.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i have rented/leased domains in the past!

this is not a new concept.

the last renter bought the domain. :)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, not a new concept. I believe webfather engages in this.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the larger domain portfolio holders have been doing this for many years.. renting out their premium one word .com's to companies who are trying to get established online or are just looking for more exposure from a targeted audience

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Havent just thought about it.. done it many times.

Why sell domains when you can still own them and charge somebody a very nice chunk of change to rent it? :)

Renting is the way of the future!

NameRegistration

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does it really work? I mean, if I want to develop a project and spend money in advertising the site, I would like the site to be mine. I would not like the owner to change his mind and lose all that investment (even if I am protected by the rent contract, I may not get the site back for years fighting for it in the courts). As domain owner I definitely think that is a great way to make profit from my domains, if you find someone willing to take the risk.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now you have stumbled apon the very best thing about leasing / renting out domains.. they develop the name you make very good cash without having to worry about if somebody is clicking or signing up or anything.. and then if they ever decide to stop renting the name your name is now a hell of a lot more valuable :)

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
trafficavenue had the best system in my view, you could actually bid on all traffic to a specific domain, I think one of the reasons it failed is bidding started at 1 penny,it charged the bidders that amount for every landing you would bid on how many blocks of 100 you wanted. Yes there was the problem of fraud which could be countered.Thay had a landing page where it explained the bidding process, if you look at what advertisers pay for keywords if we only got half that we would do quiete well, this would be great for keyword rich domains

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From the point of view of the person paying to rent the domain, it seems the same as using something like AdWords. Paying for targetted traffic... except when you stop renting, some of your existing customers may continue looking for your site under the rented domain name.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO renting a domain is quite risky and I would never do it.

What if you spend thousands of $ and hundreds of hrs time working on the website, promotions, SEO, etc. After a year (assuming a yrly lease) the owner gets a nice offer and sells the name (much higher price than you could have got a for the prior yr if you would have purch it at that time).

Another possibility is the owner does not sell but sees your website is nice and profitable so he raises the rent several hundred percent.

With either case you are going to lose big time. If you switch domains you lose your links, name recognition value, bookmarks, typeins and SE rank, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom