Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

A question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I sold a domain to a company, and part of the deal was that I sign some documents that said I couldn't register the domain again, or any domains with the keywords used in that domain. Because of the price of the sale, and they keywords, I decided to sign it.

Well,as strange as it might seem, the domain I sold them just went into redemption period. I know I can't register it myself, but could I register it for a family member? :)

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do you have total control over the actions of family members? did the paperwork you signed cover the actions of family members? do your family members all have the same last name/ email domain as you did at the time?

no answers, just questions :bandit:

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
I know I can't register it myself, but could I register it for a family member? :)

No!

RMF said:
I sign some documents that said I couldn't register the domain again,

That is not to say that a family member could not register it as long as you could prove that it was not under your administration, use or control. Or you could contact them and ask them to rescind the agreement in light of their withdrawal of use of the domain.

gariben

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but even if a family member were to register the name, it would violate the ethics behind contract.

If the family member or your friends were instructed to register the domain name on behalf of you, then you violated the contract.

If your family member or your friends just so happened to be watching the same drop, then you are off the boat.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
do you have total control over the actions of family members? did the paperwork you signed cover the actions of family members? do your family members all have the same last name/ email domain as you did at the time?

no answers, just questions :bandit:

I was the only one who signed the documents. I did not sign away any of my family's rights to register domain names. Maybe I should look over the documents once more and see if it touches on helping another individual register a similar domain.

As for morals, I don't think this really has anything to do with that. It's not like I want to steal the domain. I sold them a domain, they renewed it last year, but not this year. It will drop if they don't get it out of redemption period.

As for asking them to rescind the agreement, that wouldn't work out. I think if they noticed they didn't renew the domain, they would want it back. :)

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you are afraid to ask them to rescind the agreement, the agreement is still under effect and you can't register it either directly or through a third party (I mean, come on, you aren't fooling us and you wouldn't fool them). You can't have it both ways.

You are basically asking for a dodge around something you agreed to and got paid to follow. If you no longer want to follow it, return the money they paid you and then register the name. I you want to keep the money you can't register this name, or have anyone you know register it for you either.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Would you try to sell it again to them? If not, why bother. If yes, that's unethical.

Off topic, I sold a domain for $2.5k 3 years ago. It dropped and it's currently available.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah I decided against it. I'm gonna email them and let them know about expiration. I'll also ask them if they will allow me to register it if they don't want to renew it.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll proxy it :-D

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Off topic, I sold a domain for $2.5k 3 years ago. It dropped and it's currently available.

???

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is the company still in business? If not, were they and/or assets, in particular IP, acquired by another party?

If the business no longer exists, the agreement *may* be a mute issue at this point; pointless for them to take legal action ... definitely something you'd want to review with an experienced attorney - there's like a way to get the domain if you're determined.

Ron

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
I sold a domain for $2.5k 3 years ago. It dropped and it's currently available.
:shocked:

As for RMF's original question, an option would be to alert them of the situation. They would definitely thank you, and who knows, this may do you some good in the future, such as a referral or a Christmas card every year. :)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've contacted them and they will be renewing it....doh :)

fryman04

Master of the cave
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Next time just ask a friend to register it and give him a few bucks for his help

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RMF said:
I've contacted them and they will be renewing it....doh :)

Integrity is important... You did the right thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom