Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

about new extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteboy48

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

question for you guys. There is a new domain extension .qc.com (for quebec) from centralnic and soon, we gonna have another extension .quebec. What do you thinks about those extension? Which one do you is the best and why? Thanks in advance!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not Canadian and am aware Qubecians think they're not part of Canada, but separating yourself with a .qc.com is a terrible idea, same with .quebec.

If I were a New Yorker, I wouldn't even register a .NYC.

The gTLDs and subdomains are pure crap from whichever angle you look at it from.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.qc.com and the other similar things from centralnic like gb.com uk.com are private subdomains, not real extensions. Avoid.

.quebec ? like with any new TLD failure is much more likely than success.
There is .qc.ca but third level registrations are now closed :D

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.qc.com and the other similar things from centralnic like gb.com uk.com are private subdomains, not real extensions. Avoid.

.quebec ? like with any new TLD failure is much more likely than success.
There is .qc.ca but third level registrations are now closed :D

on the contrary...

though managed by centralnic, they function just like ".co.uk" and can be registered at eurodns and other registrars

i've owned ".us.com" domains in the past, which received traffic and revenue.

even sold a couple, so they functioned ( delivered traffic and produced income) same as any other extension, for me and the buyer.

though paperwork was involved, the domain names were transferrable.

imo...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But you do realize these are not real extensions ?
.co.uk is a genuine third level domain extension, while .us.com is a private subdomain.
Regardless of their merits, those subdomains are not mainstream at all.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i've owned ".us.com" domains in the past, which received traffic and revenue

About what time period was this? I mention this because the version of WebKit on my Android phone doesn't recognize ".sx" being a ccTLD and doesn't resolve to anything but "domain.sx.com" showing search results. However, if I search "domain.sx" in Google, the domain is the top result and if I click on it, it resolves.

Could this quite possibly be something of the past (as it isn't doing that for .us domains, tested now) where "domain.us" resolved to "domain.us.com" on a mobile? If you have traffic stats showing browser identity, that would be interesting to see...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But you do realize these are not real extensions ?
.co.uk is a genuine third level domain extension, while .us.com is a private subdomain.
Regardless of their merits, those subdomains are not mainstream at all.

kat, on the internet, truly...what is real?

will the new gtld's that will be managed by some private entities be real?

as long as the dns propagates world wide, the pages resolve and email can be enabled, and you can be sued for spamming or infringement of trademarks, then they are as real as a court summons and lawyer fee's.

concerning being mainstream:

.mobi/.cc /.ws and a few other dot's didn't go mainstream either.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I think .mobi still has a fighting chance if they get their sh*t together. A lot of top websites use a subdomain like http://m.website.com when they could redirect to website.mobi. However, they need some pretty damn good marketing and it could take off. Then Flowers.mobi could have actually been worth $200,000+. ;)

If it were me, I would disallow registrations without a company name and an established website after I get big names on board.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After seeing the .GR fiasco going on, I would opt for a .gr.com subdomain name instead if the government can just snatch a .gr from you without due-process. This is of course if it were my ccTLD of choice and I had a Greece business.

Though this thread was originally about Canada... I would settle for the .ca only.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree w/biggedon almost totally, .mobi and .ws, avoid them like the plague, some domainers were known to lose a fortune, even in the $ XXX,XXX for one guy right here regging mobi names left and right seeing it as the future of domaining

.CC is mostly a failure, too expensive ($18-$20 in the vast majority of registrars) but it had no restrictions since practically the very start, as if it were a gTLD, and it allowed two-char domains which many extensions (most if fact) do not allow after the COM, NET, ORG era, so you were limited for 2-char domains if that was your thing and you wanted a more mainstream ext. And Chinese guys can't seem to get enough of the CC.cc names, $500+ is common for the better ones, and when was the last time you saw an LL.cc or NN.cc for auction ? or even available for sale ? those just don't go on sale, I heard that one or two entities in fact own most of the NN.cc domains, like Marchex used to do by grabbing so many of the mainstream numericals....Other examples :

.INFO does not have them (although a member here says he once saw one and it was for real, some specific CC.info regs were permitted but if the original guy sold the domain or it was moved away from its registrar then the owners of the .INFO ext would just cancel its reg for good

.BIZ didn't have 2-char's at first and then Sedo intro'd a bunch of them in a real big ad auction effort, LL.biz and NN.biz aren't bad at all, they sell real well (but stay away from CC.biz domains, those aren't special)

.US is practically a total failure too which says a lot as it's the official ccTLD for the US...I don't think there's another country on earth where its people run away so much from its own ccTLD... :pout:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom