Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

about WLS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvarnsten

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Theres much talk about WLS these days and from what Ive heared its a waiting list service that means anyone can "snap" any name snapname style even if the names are active and when/if they drop they get the name? is this correct?

anyway, is it really certain THAT this is ever going to be implemented and if so are there any pointers to when?

Matt

could be good to know not least before buying a heap of snaps subscriptions that could be worthless the next day :p

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvarnsten

could be good to know not least before buying a heap of snaps subscriptions that could be worthless the next day :p

What will happen to my SnapBack?
SnapNames will attempt to convert all SnapBack subscriptions (that are current as of WLS launch date) for COM and NET domain names to WLS subscriptions at the time WLS goes into effect.

This will be done in accordance with ICANN rules, which mandate that no registrar have any better access to the registry than any other. Accordingly, SnapNames cannot guarantee that we will be 100% successful at obtaining WLS reservations for specific domain names now under SnapBack subscription. We will of course make every effort to do so.

What happens if the name I'm targeting with SnapBack doesn't transfer into WLS?
If we're not successful at converting your subscription, you may exchange your existing SnapBack subscription to another domain name. We will then again make attempts to convert to a WLS subscription. You may do this as many times as is necessary until your subscription successfully transfers to WLS, and you have 30 days following the day WLS is launched to convert all SnapBack subscriptions. After the end of the 30 day period, any remaining SnapBack subscriptions will be ineligible for conversion to WLS.

What happens after my SnapBack is converted to WLS?
If we're successful in converting your SnapBack to WLS, your WLS subscription will be maintained by one of our registrar partners. Your new registrar will notify you upon successful conversion of your SnapBack into WLS, and will let you know whom to contact with any questions about your WLS subscription.

Once I have a WLS position, can I change the name I'm targeting to another name if I so decide?
Yes, you can do this type of exchange up to three times during the life of the WLS subscription.

kvarnsten

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply sharpy.. anyone knows if godaddy and other services similar to snapback will do the same?
btw, will all domains be released at the same time? i suspect this could cause some havoc at the verisign end :)

not sure if I like the WLS idea in general.. seems likely that all reasonably good names will be "snapped" much earlier with this system by players with money and hence make the expiring domain deal into much more of a waiting game..

Matt
------
generally opposed to the idea to find out things for himself :p

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think many people think the WLS will be more fair. I'm still split on it myself.

I think people will wish they could go back to the old system after they get a taste of WLS --the grass is always greener, ya know?

Basically, the way it is now:
Auctions -- He who has the most money wins

The way it could be:
First come; first served -- He who has the most money wins

Go figure...

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has the price for a WLS on a single domain name been established by ICANN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators