Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Access.org - what's wrong with this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Why did vaxis get the domain Access.org?

harpo should have won it - he had the highest final bid at $5400 before this scammer wordstore jumped in.

Code:
vaxis		13-Sep-2005 13:54 PDT		$5,000.00 		Auction Completed

vaxis		13-Sep-2005 13:54 PDT		$5,000.00 		New Bidder Assigned

wordstore	13-Sep-2005 13:54 PDT		--		Payment Failed

wordstore	05-Sep-2005 12:09 PDT		$6,100.00 		Bid Placed

harpo		05-Sep-2005 12:09 PDT		$6,000.00 		Bid Placed

harpo		05-Sep-2005 12:09 PDT		$5,700.00 		Bid Placed

wordstore	05-Sep-2005 12:09 PDT		$5,600.00 		Bid Placed

harpo		05-Sep-2005 11:26 PDT		$5,400.00 		Bid Placed

vaxis		05-Sep-2005 11:26 PDT		$5,300.00 		Bid Placed

harpo		05-Sep-2005 10:01 PDT		$5,200.00 		Bid Placed

vaxis		05-Sep-2005 10:01 PDT		$5,100.00 		Bid Placed

harpo		05-Sep-2005 01:55 PDT		$5,000.00 		Bid Placed

navil		05-Sep-2005 01:55 PDT		$4,901.00 		Bid Placed

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe they have some 7 day thing where the bid becomes invalid, im not sure im not much of a backorder domainer

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
That's not what I'm talking about.

wordstore had the highest bid but failed to pay. It was a shill bid.
harpo had the highest legitimate bid - the one right before wordstore started bidding. So why didn't harpo get the domain and instead it went to the high profile players, Vertical Axis for LESS than what harpo had bid?

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good work Rad -- it lowers my confidence in the dropcatchers even further, if that's even possible.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I am simply curious how this works. What stops someone from using an alias to blow up an auction at Snapnames?

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure that snapnames personally contacts the next highest bidder and tells it how it is... this person "harpo" probably had a couple of options and after all decided that he was not interested in this domain.... unfortunately this scenario is not the first and won't be the last.... vaxis was next in line'

NameRegistration

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe harpo backed off too or he was contacted after wordstore failed the payment and he refused to get the domain. I am just guessing here, I would like to think that there is fair play in Snapnames. It would be great to contact harpo to find out what it really happed.

Kjel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameRegistration said:
Maybe harpo backed off too or he was contacted after wordstore failed the payment and he refused to get the domain. I am just guessing here, I would like to think that there is fair play in Snapnames. It would be great to contact harpo to find out what it really happed.

You are correct. Harpo was offered the option to take the name at his last highest legitimate bid, but he declined. The next highest bidder after Harpo was Vaxis, who ended up purchasing the name.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've seen payment fail in several snapnames auctions.

It's looking like teamwork if you ask me. Before the price gets too high, start a bidding frenzy with 3 people.. one stops at an awesome deal, the other two keep rockin and you can see all the others stop and watch. Then when its too high nobody will bid a ridiculous amount so they give up... then the highest bidder doesnt pay and the next highest bid is back when the three team mates parted ways..

Freshly Stolen credit cards are gonna go up in value after afew hundred people figure this one out. Not a bad way to make a quick 10k per week.

I'm in alot of snapnames auctions but I'm not bidding high much anymore. I'm disapointed.

Kevin.

Kjel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JackSplat said:
It's looking like teamwork if you ask me. Before the price gets too high, start a bidding frenzy with 3 people.. one stops at an awesome deal, the other two keep rockin and you can see all the others stop and watch. Then when its too high nobody will bid a ridiculous amount so they give up... then the highest bidder doesnt pay and the next highest bid is back when the three team mates parted ways..

Jack,

Believe me, you are not the first person to contemplate such a scheme. Bad actors attempt to fraudulently "game" our auctions all the time, and we have a lot of experience in catching them and driving them out. Stolen credit cards are another matter entirely: there's no reason to employ a team if you are using someone else's card. Still, we have systems in place that catch most stolen cards before a name is awarded, and we have systems in place to retrieve any names that were purchased fraudulently.

There are reasons not to try to compete with some of the deep pockets in certain SnapNames auctions, but fear of fraud shouldn't be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom