Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Adding another website in a frame or php include

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are there laws against including a website not owned by you as the source for a frame or php inlcudes on your own homepage?

For example. I create a website called www.jonny.com/dnforum and make 2 frames, top and bottom. At the top frame I put advertisements and at the bottom frame I put the src as www.dnforum.com.

This is just an example. Can something like this could be done with any website without authorization and lawsuits?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I think there are cases that forbid "deep linking" of domains etc. content.

If the other party discovers the framing of the content they might respond accordingly.

Personally, for content that I don't want others to frame I use javascript that pops the domain outside the frames.

mkx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So it cannot be considerered somewhat a mirror site? Thanks for the term though, I will go look it up

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Framing and deep linking are NOT the same thing...

Deep linking, which is quite common, is typically ok.

Framing another site that one doesn't control is typically NOT ok - doing this is asking for legal trouble ... at minimum, complaints from the respective site owners.

A better approach if you want to link to other sites and yet still keep people on yours is to link using the target="_blank" parameter inside the A HREF link html tag - this will open another browser window (or tab depending on user's browser config) while still keeping your website loaded in the first window.

Ron

mkx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ron. The target blank command wasn't something I was looking to use. What would describe deep linking then? What about using the php include command to include their website in yours?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Deep linking is linking to an "interior page" on a website ... ie. such as linking directly to this message instead of the DNForum.com homepage.

Including another website's content inside your website, regardless of the method, is asking for trouble; "passing off".

Opening another window is the best way overall - many visitors will go back to the first window because it will still be open when they're done surfing the other site(s).

Ron

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
A better approach if you want to link to other sites and yet still keep people on yours is to link using the target="_blank" parameter inside the A HREF link html tag - this will open another browser window (or tab depending on user's browser config) while still keeping your website loaded in the first window.

The target="_blank" attribute ought to be banned, and everybody who uses it sentenced to being tied up and whipped in the village square.

I have my copy of Mozilla configured to ignore this attribute and open everything in the main browser window where it belongs; I know how to use the back button, and how to open new windows and/or tabs when desired... it should be my own choice, not some idiot web developer / marketing type's.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When did the web developer witchhunt start? Get your torches here and join the mob.

The HTML attributes exist for a reason and a purpose.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mkx said:
Are there laws against including a website not owned by you as the source for a frame or php inlcudes on your own homepage?

For example. I create a website called www.jonny.com/dnforum and make 2 frames, top and bottom. At the top frame I put advertisements and at the bottom frame I put the src as www.dnforum.com.

This is just an example. Can something like this could be done with any website without authorization and lawsuits?
To cut a long story short: don't even THINK about it.

If you have time, run a search at Google with words like "frames", "content" and "lawsuits", etc.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dtobias said:
The target="_blank" attribute ought to be banned, and everybody who uses it sentenced to being tied up and whipped in the village square.

If it makes you feel better, that attribute has been depreciated in the XHTML strict specs from what I recall.

dtobias said:
I have my copy of Mozilla configured to ignore this attribute and open everything in the main browser window where it belongs; I know how to use the back button, and how to open new windows and/or tabs when desired... it should be my own choice, not some idiot web developer / marketing type's.

Many people like the convenience of having the site open in a new window automatically - the Back button doesn't work well when one has already transversed many pages from the site they clicked-through to. Also, it's nice to be able to reference back to the site one clicked from for more informaton, alternative links, etc.

Ron

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Many people like the convenience of having the site open in a new window automatically - the Back button doesn't work well when one has already transversed many pages from the site they clicked-through to. Also, it's nice to be able to reference back to the site one clicked from for more informaton, alternative links, etc.

Ron

Agree.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:

When I want to open a site in a new window (actually, for me it's more likely to be a new tab), I know how to do this through right-click options. Trying to force it on me through attributes is not for my convenience, but rather for the site developer's, to further their marketing-driven desires to keep me on their site even when I want to leave it. When it's my browser on my computer, I want this control myself.

mkx

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey it all comes down to what makes money. If devolopers can make more money by legally pissing off their surfers rather than being nice to them, then that's what they will do and all the best to them

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Opening a new browser window to navigate to links that are external to a web site's own pages, has always been the norm; as a developer I don't see that changing.

If tabbed browsing is your bread & butter, you can always hold down CTRL while clicking the link in Firefox.

loho27

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you though about approaching the web owner for his consent?

After all you are promoting his content and can only be to his benefit apart from getting more visitors and increased bandwith.

Most commercially driven site owners would welcome the added exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom