Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Admin Email is now mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mole

I was checking out a couple of possible names to acquire today, and I noticed one had an email in which the domain is now mine. I got the name from a Snapnames grab many months ago.

Question is, what do I do now that I know I can't reach the domain owner with the given email since it is mine? How is the registrar going to verify the name should it transfer? The whois looks a bit suspect, someone with the name of Tiger.

1155-2M Old Monrovia Rd
Huntsville, AL. 35806
US
256-555-5555

Does the above address look contactable?

The domain is at Dotster and REGISTRAR-LOCK, do I email them? Will they help locate the owner, or just trash my inquiry.

I don't mind having the name, but the last thing I want is to be accused of hijacking or anything, how best do I approach such situations.

Thanks.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registered mail?

M

mole

Who do I address the registered mail too, steen? Tiger?

Yeah, I think I will just do nothing, not worth the risk persuing this. Maybe Dotster will just let the name expire, looks like they renewed the name this month to 2006 - its the hoarding registrars I don't trust, Tiger I don't mind.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I assume you already tried the wayback machine to see if there was a site there previously with better contact info?

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Visit the domain's website and look for contact info (if it exists).

Contact registrar and let them know, so you don't get bothered with renewal and transfer emails.

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes contact registrar asap. The owner may have such contacts for spam purposes e.g. sending spam using this domain..either as a from address or hosting.

M

mole

missedcall said:
yes contact registrar asap. The owner may have such contacts for spam purposes e.g. sending spam using this domain..either as a from address or hosting.

hmm good point, yes I noticed that domain has been blacklisted (whois.sc whos check), missedcall. Could have infected my other domains as well :(

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do nothing. If it drops, it drops. If they want to transfer, they can still transfer - email has nothing to do with transferring a domain; many registrars use email for verification, but email has nothing to do with the actual transfer process ...

So if the registrant wants to transfer the domain, the easiest way is for them to simply contact their current registrar via phone, etc to have them manually update the email address - then they can perform the transfer or whatever updates they desire.

Point is this is not your problem ... and in trying to help, you may actually find yourself with more problems ... ie. the registrant may accuse of you hijacking, etc the domain you currently have that was once associated with them - sure you can easily challenge any such claims, but doing so will take time and possibly cost you money.

Ron

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's the person's responsibility to keep contact information up to date.
If you are willing to pay the most at auction then the name is basically yours when it expires.

M

mole

clemzonguy said:
It's the person's responsibility to keep contact information up to date.

Maybe I can report the domain to ICANN for false contact information and let it be deleted so I can catch it?

But the last time I did that, the registrar put a no valid whois sign on the domain and extended the domain expiry date for one year. :-/

It really depends on who the registrar is. The plural version of the name I am already on the case with the registrant, who wants low $X,XXX for it, which I will probably acquire.

But I think valuenames is right - I could get into a compromised situation that is definitely not worth it at all by interferring. The name dotster has set to expire in 2006, so its going to be a long wait.

I think I'm better off having the plural version which makes more sense anyway and if the registrant wants to contact me and is a member here, please pm me. He goes by the name Tiger, and his addy is as reflected on my earlier post. I'm willing to pay $1k for the name. If anyone knows someone who fits this description, please let him know.

edit- hahaha, I suddenly realised that my operating incognito makes it difficult if not impossible for anyone to figure out the hell what I am say. Sorry guys, that's the nature of the beast I live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom