Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Adsense 2, coming this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OK I invented the name.. but such a drastic change is something worth noting!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/biztech/05/23/google.video.reut/index.html

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- Google says it is ready to help Web sites run video advertisements, putting the Web search leader into competition with television for the biggest chunk of ad spending.

The company is seeking to take the pay-per-click model it refined for text ads and apply the approach to video, cleaning up a nascent market where irritating ads that appear uninvited over the main text and then disappear distract users and limit advertisers' desire to spend money on the medium.

Google video ads first appear on Web pages as static screenshots in small television-screen like boxes. Only when a consumer clicks on the screen does the ad begin running inside the box - instead of jumping off the page as many video ads do - giving users control over how much or how little they view.

"We are offering a very, very non-intrusive ad product," said Gokul Rajaram, product manager for Google AdSense, which runs advertising campaigns across affiliated Web sites. "Only users who click on the ad see the video."

Google's AdSense network generates nearly half of Google's revenue, with most of the rest coming from Google's own sites.

The new "click to play" video ads complement Google's existing lineup of text, static image, banner and flash animation ads that run on the edges of Web pages of sites that use Google to deliver advertising for them. Google aims to make video advertising as simple to buy as these existing formats.

Video ads will be introduced this week, Rajaram said.

To make it easy for advertisers to use the format, Google will host video advertisements on its own computer servers instead of forcing customers to contract out with a third-party supplier as many video advertisers must now do.

Click to play video ads differ from the scattershot approach of broadcast TV advertising in that Google promises to measure the duration of how long customers, on average, watch any particular ad on a site before moving on to another page.

"It is very good for advertisers because they now know the user is engaged," Rajaram said in a phone interview.

"The targeting is more powerful than traditional broadcast TV," said Greg Sterling, an industry analyst with Sterling Market Intelligence in Berkeley, California.

For example, Sterling said one way Google plans to promote the service as a way for advertisers to test-market television ads on the Web to determine the best ad for broadcast TV campaigns.

The Internet ad market grew 30 percent in 2005 to $12.5 billion. But that represents only 5 percent of the budget that U.S. marketers spend on all media, including newspapers, radio and television, according to Internet Advertising Bureau data. U.S. ad spending on cable television alone totaled $18.9 billion last year.

But analyst Safa Rashtchy of broker Piper Jaffray estimates that major advertisers in categories such as autos, finance, entertainment and consumer goods are shifting a growing amount of their spending -- 10 to 20 percent so far -- online.

Such brand name advertisers favor using richer graphical or video based elements in their advertising. This part of the market is where rival Yahoo! has long dominated.

"Brand marketers will take notice. This is going to cause others like Yahoo!, Microsoft and AOL to develop some of the same targeting," Sterling said.

"We will see an acceleration of video advertising from here," he predicted.

AOL, like CNN, is a division of Time Warner.

Domain Days 2024

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very interesting! Thanks for posting this. I'm actually using YPN now, but I have been considering trying Adsense again.

Might be a good time for that now since I bet they only let you use the video ads if you don't have any other non-Google contextual ads. :)

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Video ads seems like the ticket may be, but there will be bugs to work out I'm sure. And google may try to give it away at first, sell cheap clicks to get it off on the right foot.

One thing though that may make it a hard sell, is you got to get people to click on them and watch them. When most people don't like tv ads, it could be a hard thing to get people use to clicking on video ads.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Must be why the management system will be down on May 27th.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
management works for me, however.. still no video ad options..

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well here is the first video I've seen on adsense (thinking it might show the video to everyone I hope)
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50460 (about mid page, center)

a full two minutes long or so..maybe more. impressive thinking these will be played tens of millions of times a day.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
hmm, maybe just refresh the page a few times and it will show?

It was an Al Gore video about the global warming stuff... for some movie coming out (or video maybe..i dunno). when you moused over the video, a black box with white letters showed the URL under the mouse where you moved it on the video player.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this should be good.. I will be using Google on a couple of sites and YPN on the others.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well it "could" be great. What does concen me though is that the video lacked relevance to the page content.... odd.

Here's a screenshot of the ad. It showed again for me after reloading the page and refreshing it:
www.newsforums.org/googlevideoad.JPG

Borghunter

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, can't wait until I can put some on my site.
Wonder if they're going to have a selection to only show videos, like images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom