Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Adventures in Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A little example of just how wide open the IDN market is...

This morning, I registered the .com Thai language equivalents of: drink, forum, chat, diary, law, message board, politics, card, photography, education, download, horoscope, radio, science, religion, architecture, girl, environment, ecard, hardware

Some of the above have US Overture counts in the thousands, meaning they're likely to be HUGELY popular terms (it's not an exact science when there's no local Overture tool).

I can't read, speak or write a single letter of Thai. But I worked from Dmoz's Thai language directory and from the site navigation of one of the big portals, Sanook, which I found while checking some of the keywords I'd found in Dmoz.

All in, it took me just over 2 hours to find, confirm the availability of and register the above list...

Now according to Clickz's stats, there are 7.5 million Thais online out of a total population of 65 million.

Nobody can say with 100% certainty how IDNs will pan out, but for a total investment of $159.80 I've got a pretty good foothold in the Thai market if they do take off.

And it's opportunities like this which explain why I've become an IDN believer.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Congrats Edwin on your new venture into Thai IDN
Which Thai word for "girl" did you register?

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:

i can not get the point of IDN at all, could anyone pls explain?

As far a am concerned to type IDN , you need to change the keyboard language at your laptop first!

so how these typins would perform?!

would people type "สาว" in their language first,and then they will click CTRL and something to change to English to click "com" or what??

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Angelx666 said:
would people type "สาว" in their language first,and then they will click CTRL and something to change to English to click "com" or what??
Interesting question indeed. ;)

thefabfive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are multiple ways around having to switch keyboard languages that are fairly simple. The best way, and currently in development, is IDN.IDN. This is where the .com or .net would be replaced by the equivalent in whatever language you are using. For example, in Russian, the .com would become .KOM (I don't have the cyriliic language here but you get the picture). This would not be a new extension but would simply map to the .com.

The hundreds of type-ins currently for Russian domains show that they've figured something else out in the meantime though.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Angelx666 said:
i can not get the point of IDN at all, could anyone pls explain?

As far a am concerned to type IDN , you need to change the keyboard language at your laptop first!

so how these typins would perform?!

No you dont need to, For example people in Germany have German keyboard and they dont have to change it to German to type in German IDN names.
simply type straße for strasse or öl for oil.

puxa2

puxa2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, as someone who types in spanish and portuguese and must use a US international keyboard in addition to standard US English, it's easy to toggle (if you need to) between languages/keyboards using the language tool bar. .Com can also be pasted to the end of a name. As mentioned, Verisign in collaboration with ICANN may create a foreign language version of the .com extension (.idn) for a given language which may be dnamed or mapped etc to the relevant IDN.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom