Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Advice needed: Valuate | ESTIBOT & Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua84

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Still learning the tricks of the trade and perhaps some of you with years more experience in the industry could assist with some advice.

I generally use estibot and valuate for my domains. Some of them come out with "Good" results. Atleast what I think is good.

exhausted.co.za & minsk.co.za both come up with a frequency in the 30mil mark and searches of 60K.

Would this be a good indication on developing domains with searches of 20k and above ?

The other question I am yet to understand, my highest valued domains through estibot is 10m.tv & 12h.tv however the searches for 10m 5000 and 12h 111.

Why would they be valued medium range with such low searches as apposed to other domains with extremely high searches ?

I have considered developing bidandstay.co.za into an accommodation auction site, however the searches on these keywords seem to be a big fat 0 !

Would this then be a bad domain to develop as I would need to impliment PPC campaigns ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards

Warrick

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Drop and move on to .com

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stop using those tools, they are worthless.
Put yourself in the shoes of a webdeveloper or end user.
What would you do with domains like exhausted.co.za or minsk.co.za ?
I don't see a clear use for these domains, nor do I see them as meaningful or relevant.
What was in your mind ?
What are your goals ?

shack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When dealing in domain names, look for names that make's sence. The domain name should be easy to remember and have Commercial Value!
The price of domain names are not always about traffic and searches.
Those tools are useless when determining the worth of domain names.
The last and most important thing! Purchase A .Com and only .coms, and you will be ok.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those tools are not worthless...they are tools. You may or may not agree with their valuations but they will give you a plethora of data to help you in making your decisions. The most important thing to factor into your decision making is how YOU feel about the domain and it's potential. If you buy strictly by the numbers, (whatever yours may be) you will always run into names that meet the numbers but don't pass the eye test. Map out what you want to do as it related to domains (Flip, PPC, End User sales, Development, Ecommerce) and focus on those opportunities. Each segment requires different strengths, in terms of the numbers, and having that backbone will help you make better decisions. Be prepared to make mistakes and lose some $ but if you are not confident and enjoying what you are doing, what is the point in that? Good Luck.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scarey proposition and high risk of losing money investing in third, fourth, and fifth level domains.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
co.za is the "Com" of South Africa i.e. co.uk

Aqua84

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your assistance and guidance. It is greatly appreciated. Well, I am new to the industry, only started buying domains about 18 months ago, which was unfortunately too late. I wish I knew about this industry in the early 2000's. As a new comer to the industry, I have already made various mistakes by not focusing on .com's only. I have bought a great selection of .net | .org | .mobi | .co | .biz | .info | .nl | .fr | .de | .tv | .in & .co.uk which has been my biggest mistake and learning curve. This is probably where I will have to let go and make a loss by dropping most of these extensions.

My reason for buying in those extensions was due to watching dnjournal and other domain sales where there seems to be a demand for all of the above. I managed to get propertyinsurance.nl | mortgagequotes.nl etc which I "In my opinion" could have some value down the line ? Yes, I have only been able to aquire 66 relevant .coms over the past year with all of them being mainly 2word .com's. I thought these could do someone good in the future: bikeletting.com | motorletting.com | vehicleletting.com Who knows, I think it is all about trial and error as well as acquiring a domain that someone could very well need in the future. Most of the domains I have acquired came to me as business ideas, I thereafter bought the domain with the idea of developing it. However as time passes, ideas do change.

I have bought a decent collection of .co.za Thus being from South Africa, I know that the South African market is very far behind in the e-commerce | domaining | website world. On a daily basis more South African business are joining the Internet world and developing the face of their business on a website.

@ Katherine, I purchased minsk.co.za only because it was available and I saw the .com going on auction. In terms of exhausted, I thought it could be a nice blog url specifically focusing on new parents whom have just had their first child. There are not many 1 word .co.za domains available and when I come across them, I purchase them. I managed to get seated.co.za the other day which could work as a nice restaurant reservation website in south africa. I believe every domain has potential in some special way even the strange ones i bought, such as 12h.tv and 10m.tv which could stand for 10minute tv & 12 hour tv.

I suppose when it comes to purchasing domains, one has to also look at international terms and wording. I bought, what I thought is a good .com (bondapplications.com) the alternative version would be mortgageapplications.com, However bond is frequently used in South Africa and not mortgage. Maybe a bank will find value for this domain in the next few years.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

rmbdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I made similar mistakes when I first started. I was buying names that I though were good, but, in reality, had no real reseller value. I had to sell at a loss. My opinion, stick to .coms and only really high quality .nets or .orgs (never even go near anything else). Especially if you plan on reselling them through places like DNForum or other reseller sites.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I am new to the industry, only started buying domains about 18 months ago, which was unfortunately too late.
It's never too late. There are plenty of opportunities left. Try to learn from the mistakes of others and climb the learning curve.

I have already made various mistakes by not focusing on .com's only.

I have bought a great selection of .net | .org | .mobi | .co | .biz | .info | .nl | .fr | .de | .tv | .in & .co.uk which has been my biggest mistake and learning curve.
There is a world beyond .com. There is demand for strong (country) extensions but they are not all equal.

I managed to get propertyinsurance.nl | mortgagequotes.nl etc which I "In my opinion" could have some value down the line ?
I think Dutch keywords are much more preferable. In general the domains should fit the language of the extension.

I have bought a decent collection of .co.za Thus being from South Africa,
I am not an expert in .co.za but I know it's probably the most developed and valuable of African extensions. It perfectly makes sense that you invest in your own extension, just keep in mind that each market is different and has its own characteristics:
  • maturity of the extension
  • size of the local market
  • resale opportunities
  • penetration rates of broadband Internet
  • prevalence of E-commerce

@ Katherine, I purchased minsk.co.za only because it was available and I saw the .com going on auction... There are not many 1 word .co.za domains available and when I come across them, I purchase them.
You can't really make comparisons with .com. What sells in a given extension can be worthless in any other extension. Generally. .com is the most liquid extension
Also, don't settle for whatever is left. Often what is still available, is for a reason !
Quality over quantity. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom