Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Advice on 3L.com prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I put this here because, although I joined in 2008, I'm still very much a newbie where buying is concerned. I've been looking at 3L.coms (on Bido today and elsewhere), and am wondering what's the correct range of price.

Obviously, some are better than others, but maybe there's a range outside which you shouldn't go. I must admit I find appraisal (of my own domains and others) absolutely the hardest part of domaining. And I understand why it's so hard to put a firm price on a name, but a range would be useful.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I put this here because, although I joined in 2008, I'm still very much a newbie where buying is concerned. I've been looking at 3L.coms (on Bido today and elsewhere), and am wondering what's the correct range of price.

Obviously, some are better than others, but maybe there's a range outside which you shouldn't go. I must admit I find appraisal (of my own domains and others) absolutely the hardest part of domaining. And I understand why it's so hard to put a firm price on a name, but a range would be useful.

as a buyer, the correct price or range is what you can afford or are willing to pay

now either you are a flipper or you are an investor

if you flip, then getting right pricing is more of a challenge because you want to turn it over quickly.

investors look long term, so current price may be high for you (the flipper), but may be low for the long term investor

check this old thread (04) http://www.dnforum.com/f5/3-letter-com-sale-thread-48782.html

and value of similar domains 7 yrs later.

if you need help with a specific domain, shoot a pm and i'll give it my best

Last edited:

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, axeman and Don. So helpful, as always. :)

I'll check out those links. I haven't got anything specific in mind at the moment, but I've been looking around for what I hope will be the not-too-distant future.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, axeman and Don. So helpful, as always. :)

I'll check out those links. I haven't got anything specific in mind at the moment, but I've been looking around for what I hope will be the not-too-distant future.

when i first started domaining, to get a LLL.com was the trophy

but after you've bought and sold a few, the thrill wears off

especially if you find something cheaper to invest in, which has a higher roi potential

when i was buying LLL com, prices where $300 > $700 for low to mid tier

one could easily turn over for double, triple or more in a few months as prices were rising much faster then, than they are today.

today, if you bought one at $3K > $6k, it would be an uphill battle to double or triple your money in the same time frame, unless you got end-user access or you just get lucky.

this category has become the flippers specialty, where they buy at $3k and flip for $3500 > $5K

some with more gut can get more, but a few are taking hits to liquidate and buy something else.

the biggest attraction is that they are movers, in that someone will always be making an offer, but it may not be the offer you like.

so before you spend that $3k or more for one domain, think of how many other domains you could buy that may have traffic and revenue.

revenue that could "sustain" your current portfolio and provide income for future investments.

:)

imo...

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Quit buying LLL.com a couple of years ago. I sold about 50 LLL.com before I quit.
Reasons:
- Too much investment - I can use the same amount of money and buy several LLL.net or LLL.org. I did sell a couple LLL.net in the range $5K - $15K each
- TM issues
- If I need money - I can sell the net or the org names easier than the com

Just my 2 cents.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I need money - I can sell the net or the org names easier than the com

Just my 2 cents.

Why do you think that is, Johnn? Is that not unusual? I thought that dotcom was always preferable to dotorg or dotnet. Has conventional wisdom changed lately?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why do you think that is, Johnn? Is that not unusual? I thought that dotcom was always preferable to dotorg or dotnet. Has conventional wisdom changed lately?

How many people would have 5K and up (for a dot com) vs under 1K for dot net? You do the math.

Reaction score
I've bought and sold a few. However I prefer to buy them during weak economic times and sell in stronger times (can take years). I think they're quite a solid investment as, has already been said, they are liquid and can be shuffled in times of need or marketed to endusers more easily than other domains. With regards to prices you need to factor in the strength of the letters, acronyms that may attract the elusive end-users, and development possibilities. I have paid 5 figures for 3-letter domains that I've sold months later for double or triple. I have also paid 5 figures for some that I've ended up letting go for either break-even or a small profit depending on my need for the cash (actually lost a few k on a couple). I do think it's a buyer's market at the moment with quite a few floating round in the sub $5k range although these tend to be the domainer to domainer shuffle types. There are still some bargains to be had though I'm noticing a general slow increase in sellers expectations. I may be wrong but I don't think we'll be seeing the same pricing a year from now. I think people who buy and sit on them for now will be the winners.

Last edited:

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a couple lately but one particular one on Bido that's closing very soon. The initials do make sense in that they already seem to be short for a well-known word with an authoritative ring to it, as well as being short for a well-known woman's name. It's in the 3k range and I just wondered why it would be going so low.

axeman

The One and Only
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i know the domain you are referring to but if im not mistaken it has a reserve on it so i doubt it will go cheap.

dominator

Corporate Design, Naming & Branding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i sold LLLs (no Qs, Ys, Zs) for 5K in the 90s and for 7-8K 2-3 years ago
so their prices actually dropped...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's all about selling to the right buyer. Even in this economy you can get 5 figures for not so great letters. Want to "kill" a domain? Sure, no problem; pawn it at Bido or eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom