Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Advice on selling a domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose62

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a .com of what seems to be a popular co.uk xxx website. Should I just email the webmaster and ask them if he would be interested in the .com? I dont want to sell it too low or I dont want to ask for so much it makes them mad. Not sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Depends on what you're doing with the .com currently e.g. does it produce revenue from traffic intended for the .co.uk

moose62

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its only made $40 this year from NameDrive.com got 2111 views and 211 clicks a so far this year. So it does not make that much. Im not sure how I can tell if the traffic is 100% coming from the site but most of the clicks do come from United Kingdom and Germany. So my best bet that are coming from this site.

Last edited:

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They're definitely losing traffic to it.

If I were you, I would have a PPC site with content built on it so that

a) it becomes better search engine and revenue-optimized

b) the site is doing more than just generating clicks and there is a better chance that a WIPO panel would see you as using it in "good faith"

You're making 300% on your investment as it is. Wait it out. Make them come to you. If you email them, that shows them you want to sell it, putting them in a more powerful position as the buyer. If they email you, you hold all the cards. You could sell that name to anybody, but THEY want it. That puts them in a position of weakness where you can command a high lump sum price, or even better, lease the domain name to them so you never give up ownership and have a residual income.

A case you may want to look at is Elephant.com, where Admiral Insurance Services relied on their domain name Elephant.co.uk and were losing traffic to Elephant.com.

http://wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2005/d2005-0241.html

They tried to force the name out of its owner, but ended up having to buy it. Which is exactly what you want.

moose62

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this info and I dont understand how they could even try to force me to give it up because I hand reg this name year or two before this site even was started. And if I make my own PPC should I add the same content xxx or something different I dont understand using it in "good faith" I should use other content then xxx right? Im sorry for all the question i a newbie on this.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
My advice: park it at Sedo, much better PPC than Namedrive for adult traffic.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this info and I dont understand how they could even try to force me to give it up because I hand reg this name year or two before this site even was started. And if I make my own PPC should I add the same content xxx or something different I dont understand using it in "good faith" I should use other content then xxx right? Im sorry for all the question i a newbie on this.

Don't consider this legal advice.

I could hand register any name I want, but if it is infringing on somebody's trademark, they can by all means force me to give it up.

For the content, I would strongly recommend something non-xxx for 2 reasons

- xxx sites involve much legal protection, and encounter problems such as content theft and the like. You would invest heavily in making the site an xxx site.

- If you want to run as little risk as possible of having this name taken from you by a means besides a sale, using it for a purpose besides the one for which the other site exists shows that you're in an entirely different business. For example, Apple owns a trademark on the term "Apple" for computers, music, software and the like. However, if I wanted to sell chicken under the name of "Apple" I can do so, because the trademark does not yet exist for companies who sell chicken.

I would just put something that pays high per click on the site and enjoy the traffic, waiting out that email from the webmaster.

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont want to sell it too low or I dont want to ask for so much it makes them mad. Not sure what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated.

In terms of valuation. Check out the Domainer Income domain sales database (its free) and look at similar names that have been sold in the past. That will give you the best indication as to what the market will pay. If they have the .co.uk then the .com should be (in theory) much higher. Hope this helps.

iestates

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

They could take it if you try to sell it to them. My suggestion: wait for them to come to you :)

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They could take it if you try to sell it to them. My suggestion: wait for them to come to you :)

Renew it for 10 years. Won't even cost you $100.

Best result: You sell it to them sometime within that 10 years for a big profit

Worst result: You still earn the parking revenue, less whatever you paid for the renewal, which works out to ~$0.03 per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom