Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

any help or advice that you can provide to steer me in the right direction with this one would be appreciated.

One of the domains I own is a generic name and has several meanings. For arguments sake it is similar to the word/name nurse.com

There is however an international company that goes by this name and has a well established branding of the word and trademarks on the word in terms of their products. Using the example above there is a clothing company called NURSE that everybody knows as a brand of clothing.

My question is , as you might have guessed, do I have to give it up to this company if they ask for the name. It's probably a dumb question but my gut feeling is that I do not have to given the generic nature of ther name.

Any advice???

Thanks
Dingo

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont offer to sell it to them and dont open a clothing store with that domain :)

Dingo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComCowboy
The key maybe a legitimate use. Do you have one?

I don't personally DCC but am happy to sell it to someone else who has. And yes there could be many legit uses for the name that were not related to clothing.

Thanks

Dingo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devildude8989
Dont offer to sell it to them and dont open a clothing store with that domain :)

Thanks DD.
I certainly have no intention of using the name in any way with clothing. I will take your advise and not offer it too them. However, they have approached me via a legal firm requesting that I transfer the name to them and have offered a nominal figure for my troubles. To be honest I wouldn't even sell it to the average punter for the amount they offered so i am not quite sure how to handle it.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dingo

Thanks DD.
I certainly have no intention of using the name in any way with clothing. I will take your advise and not offer it too them. However, they have approached me via a legal firm requesting that I transfer the name to them and have offered a nominal figure for my troubles. To be honest I wouldn't even sell it to the average punter for the amount they offered so i am not quite sure how to handle it.

Are they from Oz?
Do they have US TM's as well?

You can email me at [email protected] with the name and a price if you would.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It would be best for your side if you were actually *using* the name in its generic sense, rather than just warehousing it.

Dingo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dan.

It's at the point now where the lawyers want me to suggest a price I would be happy to sell the name to them for. I will let you know how we go.

Cheers
Dingo

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont companies sometimes make offers for domains just so you will accept it then use it against you @ WIPO?

Just wondering, lawyer(s)?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Dont companies sometimes make offers for domains just so you will accept it then use it against you @ WIPO?"

More or less, yes. What they will usually do is to say that they are interested in having the name transferred, or interested in "acquiring" the domain name, so that they can claim that you are the one who suggested selling it.

It is very similar to the way police conduct prostitution undercover operations - they will generally not initiate an express solicitation.

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The registration of a domain name, in and of itself, does not constitute trademark violation.

Here is a link to the WIPO arbitration web site:
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/index.html

I will release this domain name immediately upon a WIPO decision in your favor.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dingo,

Stick to your rights, and do not allow anyone to reverse hi-jack your domain name. If more people stuck to their guns when they owned truly generic names, this situation would not be occurring as it does.

If you need help or support, I am there for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom