Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphonetips.info

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
can anyone help me here. I really want to try and buy some domains and turn around in 90 days and see if i can sell them for a little profit. Right now i hold about 8 domains that are parked. Here is my first question. If i am just parking the domains then will they appreciate in value over that small amount of time? If i host them will it improve the page rank, which in turn make the domains more valuable? If that is so, then I will need to rethink my plan on selling domains. Is page rank the most domainate factor when i decide to buy a domain? I have found the site DNscoop very educational. Please advise. I really respect everyone's input here on this forum.

chuck

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can anyone help me here. I really want to try and buy some domains and turn around in 90 days and see if i can sell them for a little profit. Right now i hold about 8 domains that are parked. Here is my first question. If i am just parking the domains then will they appreciate in value over that small amount of time? If i host them will it improve the page rank, which in turn make the domains more valuable? If that is so, then I will need to rethink my plan on selling domains. Is page rank the most domainate factor when i decide to buy a domain? I have found the site DNscoop very educational. Please advise. I really respect everyone's input here on this forum.

chuck

those parked domains won't appreciate if they don't have any traffic or revenue.
maybe if you hold them for some years and they are half decent, then the "age" may be of interest to some.

if you host/make websites, then of course it will increase value.

for page rank, i have NEVER bought a domain for it's rank.

lastly, i really don't read that "dn" site, so no comment on that.

iphonetips.info

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
how do you determine the value of a domain if you don't judge it on rank

If I bought a domain that had a good page rank and it had traffic and I decided to hold it for about three months without hosting it would it hold its value & possibly increase in value over that time period?

chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how do you determine the value of a domain if you don't judge it on rank

If I bought a domain that had a good page rank and it had traffic and I decided to hold it for about three months without hosting it would it hold its value & possibly increase in value over that time period?

chuck

i don't buy domains based on page rank as page rank can be manipulated or faked.

my criteria is based on experience and the knowledge i have gained in recognizing the potential in a domain.

page ranking does not typically hold for domains that don't get "re-developed" into viable websites.

if you buy a domain with high pr and park it, it will tend to go down over time.

iphonetips.info

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what sites or books do you know of, that would educate me on the process of selecting profitable domains? Is this something that has been learned over time? A process of learning from your mistakes? I have been trying to do this for about six months and I have learned alot from my mistakes and this forum.

chuck

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is a good place to start for an appraisal. Just take note - if no one responds, assume reg fee (many people get tired of typing in reg fee, reg fee etc.).

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/

As for finding profitable domains, you might have a hard time finding a mentor since many people don't want to give away their secrets. You might be able to pay someone to teach you some basics, but don't expect to make a million bucks overnight and don't expect to be in the DNJournal overnight, too. Take your time and your best bet is to concentrate on the $xx to $xxx domains. There are some good bargains out there and go for quality - not quantity. I'd rather have one $250 name than 40 reg fee names (just think of renewals).

iphonetips.info

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for your wisdom and time. i haved learned that this will be a time thing

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what sites or books do you know of, that would educate me on the process of selecting profitable domains? Is this something that has been learned over time? A process of learning from your mistakes? I have been trying to do this for about six months and I have learned alot from my mistakes and this forum.

chuck

This forum is the only book you need to read.
It's important also have some marketing/sales skills.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for your wisdom and time. i haved learned that this will be a time thing

the biggest fault with newbies is, (and i was once a newbie) that they come here and maybe read a few threads.
then they go and register some domains that they think are valuable because they read it on some dn website that was conceived by a newbie.

so it's basically newbies going "off-site" to read these blogs and dn sites that are written by inexperienced domainers looking to make names for themselves.

they come back here are tell us that they read some stuff on another site and want to ask questions about it here.

my advice, stay on the forum and read, then ask questions about what you read here.

point to specific threads that pertain to your area of interest, that you found puzzling or need further clarification on.

iphonetips.info

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank you for your input. I hope that you guys do get sick of hearing from me, because i will have a lot of questions. I have read one article that said your best bet was to look at models of sucess and try to pattern yourself after them. with that said, i have read some intelligent replies from everyone today. most articles will tell you how you can become wealthy over night. I just want to learn the art of picking domains that have some potential and make profit in the long run. I am not out to get wealthy over night. thanks again.

chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom