Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Afternic Escrow Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the latest word on Afternic escrow? How does it compare to Escrow.com these days?

Domain Days 2024

austinandrew

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd take it any day over Escrow.com.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
escrow.com - totally unsecure for both buyer and seller, escrow.com verify "transfer" of the domain only via whois, which can be easily faked- from buyer or the seller. Cases of this type of scam has been several times reported here on DNF

afternic.com - unsecure for seller. They do as escrow.com, but also buyer has to verify the transfer. So if buyer change the whois back to seller and does NOT verify the transfer, he get money back and keep the domains.

The only safe escrow for both, buyer and the seller, is Sedo and Moniker ONLY. The fact, that so many escrow.com domain transactions have had happy outcome sofar is just that most of people are NOT scammers. So they actually could save huge escrow fees and just make wire + push, would be same level of security - none...

austinandrew

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
afternic.com - unsecure for seller. They do as escrow.com, but also buyer has to verify the transfer. So if buyer change the whois back to seller and does NOT verify the transfer, he get money back and keep the domains.

Can you point to a case where this has actually happened? Although the buyer has to confirm, Afternic still has the money in its possession and can investigate what happened.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you point to a case where this has actually happened?

I am not aware if it happened.

Afternic still has the money in its possession and can investigate what happened

How could they, they do not have registrar nor own accounts.

austinandrew

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Afternic still has the money in its possession and can investigate what happened

How could they, they do not have registrar nor own accounts.

Well, they are a registrar now so they could look into the history. As Sedo a lot of times the domain is transferred directly from the seller to buyer, so I don't see the difference. I know that some times Sedo takes possession of the name first and then transfers it, but not always. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, they are a registrar now so they could look into the history. As Sedo a lot of times the domain is transferred directly from the seller to buyer, so I don't see the difference. I know that some times Sedo takes possession of the name first and then transfers it, but not always. Perhaps I'm missing something here.

OK maybe something changed, I actually did not read their TOS/FAW long time. In fact NONE of the escrow can have the domain in their account, as that could be a lot of possible legal problems. Sedo AFAIL has contracts with major registrars, they will confirm the transfer. Moniker transfers domain first to a Moniker account, than push to another Moniker account, so they can check the transfer.

Now definitely most unsecure yet most widely used is escrow.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom