Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Afternic Warning for .UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Afternic have excelled themselves this time.

I am buying a domain name, however the owner forwarded forms but forgot the cover letter, so he is sorting that out. Afternic are used to instant .com transfers and the like so due to the name taking over a few weeks to transfer they suspend my membership and refund me the money i paid.

Current position: I have forms to transfer the domain to me, and the money I paid for it.

Thus if was unscrupulous I could take both the domain and the money. Hardly a 'safe secure' escrow service!

Further to this another name I am trying to buy is in a similar position.

It seems .uk and Afternic just do not work as they have no understanding of the transfer processes and requirements.

I have asked for a full apology and account reinstatement, and will keep DNForum posted on whats what but thought I ought to offer heads up to those looking to sell their names via afternic.

Cheers,
Rob.

domaino

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
robert said:
I have asked for a full apology and account reinstatement, and will keep DNForum posted on whats what but thought I ought to offer heads up to those looking to sell their names via afternic.

Yeh thanks for the heads up but i have been completely put off afternic after hearing denny's story, i think your experience just adds extra weight to the case against using afternic. One things for sure, from what i have heard over the years i do not trust them and i can never deal with people i do not trust.

reclad

Still Breathing
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
> I have asked for a full apology and account reinstatement,
> and will keep DNForum posted on whats what but thought
> I ought to offer heads up to those looking to sell their
> names via afternic.

I'm amazed that you can contact them.

When I tried some time ago, I was astonished to find
they have NO Telephone number, Fax number, Street or
P.O. Box address OR even an obvious E-Mail address !!!
Not even a direction to send a smoke signal.

Sure there's a 'contact us' pull-down, BUT try to quickly
find a contact method from that and you're a better
person than me Gunga Din. Their FAQ-First runaround before
revealing any contact box... if you're lucky.

Most members seem to have to use their 'forum'
and hope that one of their (3?) staff read it and reply.

... and BTW, they are DOUBLING their membership fee !! :)

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Our oldest transaction still in progress started in January, and that was a "fast dot com". (Buyer and seller agreed on some seller financing and we customized an escrow service to hold the domain and escrow the payments.) We have no problem handling transactions that take a long time.

Our policy is that we never terminate an escrow transaction if both parties are communicating, and in agreement that it should be continued. We don't make any money or satisfy any members when we have to cancel a transaction so we have no desire to do that. You will certainly receive your membership restored and a public apology right here from me if we did something wrong on your transaction. Heck, you already have my sympathy no matter whose fault it is.

I'll be glad to look into it personally if you tell me the domain names in question.

We're 6 employees now, and here's how you can contact us:

Here is a link to send us a message:
http://www.afternic.com/help/suggest.php?c=4

Here is our phone number:
(407) 880 3211

Here is our fax number:
(407) 880 9619

Our email address is [email protected]. (Remove the dash; I hate to publish anybody's real email address for the spam bots.)

Our office is in the Orlando, Florida area:

Afternic, Inc.
7 W. Main St. Ste 800
Apopka, FL 32703

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger problem here is Nominet in the UK... they are notorious. What is funny is that the DTI has denounced them... So even there domain dispute resolutions carry no weight whatsoever.

Ah how the mighty fall..

Back to AfterNIC why did they Suspend your account?

Roger.. why did you suspend his account.. is this some form of stealth marketing to get people talking about you again..

Six Staff? Think you need a recruitment drive.. :)

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't want to discuss the details of Robert's transaction without his permission. I did PM him about that and he did not answer yes or no regarding that permission.

I can say that we have no problem handling .co.uk domains as long as both parties continue to communicate with the escrow manager. And we do not rush to suspend a member - it takes over three weeks of no response for us to give up on a member. How long do you think we should accept non-responsiveness on a transaction before moving to protect our other members from such transactions?

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
so you suspend peoples accounts if a transaction takes longer than you expect? dont you think that might be somewhat draconian?

There are many reasons, factors why people would delay.. holiday - illness - death, a warning or points system would be more humane.

Our oldest transaction still in progress started in January
so out of this transaction. Who did you suspend from this one?

proproject

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
namestrands said:
so you suspend peoples accounts if a transaction takes longer than you expect?

We're just enforcing rules for the benefit of our other members. Remember, we get the 10%, not the 90%. We suspend members when they take longer than is reasonable to make the other party to wait for a response. We understand vacations, illness, and holidays. The question is how long is it reasonable to wait?

Also, suspension is not as bad as it sounds. Any suspended member can just explain what happened and get their membership back for free. You forgot you started a transaction and then went on a vacation for 4 weeks? No problem, wish I could vacation for 4 weeks, hope you had a good time, just please don't do that to any of our members again, they hate that. That kind of line.

No one was suspended from the transaction that started in January. It is going fine; payments are being made; domain is being used by leasee; all parties are communicating fine.

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The name was in the usual lengthy period between nominet sending forms out to them being returned to nominet with several processes inbetween.

I apologise that us here brits use old fashioned paper forms , cover letters and snail mail, but those are the rules and we have to follow it. UK transfers are different from .com's etc, and I have two ongoing transfers both of which the buyers / sellers have had to explain the UK procedure to Afternic.

Regarding 'non responsiveness of the transfer' how can it be acceptable that after an arbitary time point the escrow is cancelled.

As initally mentioned, I am now in full possession of transfer documents and the original payment, thus a free domain if I was so inclined ;)

I have recieved an apology from Denise Scarborough the Escrow manager and account and transfer has been reinstated.

I hope Afternic learn about .UK and its ways of transfer, and the already long drawn out paper process can be even more delayed if cock ups occur - in this case the seller did not forward full paperwork.

Less haste more thinking :)

Cheers,
Rob.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have a look at the financial returns for last year... each member of staff is earning £30,000.. even the cleaners and caretakers... the UK market needs to be opened up.. lets hope this years AGM will see some changes.

ps123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Nominet had plans to move to paperless/online transfers by 2004 end but looks like charging £30 per transfer is more profitable for their not-for-profit company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom