Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Aged Domains that are hand registered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie Crosby

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When ploughing hours through the expired and deleted lists and sorting out what's what, I've regged aged domains, or so I have been informed by the site/software etc.
Anyway, as you would expect, thus domain now appears as an up to date hand reg, just how does one identify them as aged?

I would very much appreciate some advice on this, thanks very much,

Howie.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hand registering aged domains is an oxymoron, you can't hand register an aged domain name today, you could've hand registered an aged domain 10 years ago, but not today. Make sense?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stop using those sites and software, that give you false or misleading information

as you can see, it's costing you

imo....

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

When ploughing hours through the expired and deleted lists and sorting out what's what, I've regged aged domains, or so I have been informed by the site/software etc.
Anyway, as you would expect, thus domain now appears as an up to date hand reg, just how does one identify them as aged?

I would very much appreciate some advice on this, thanks very much,

Howie.

I understand you're just getting started in this industry, and it's not going to be easy. You'll need to scratch and claw your way to profits, but you'll get there by doing it right. I would suggest going to Godaddy's expired auctions, set your parameters at "expiring" and "closeout," only .coms, at least 8 years old with 15 traffic. This will create a nice list of domains for you to choose from with reselling potential. Don't pick up an expired domain for $20 and set your price at $50,000. Reach out to end users, research end users before you spend your money and close a sale at $500-$2,500. I've picked up domains at Godaddy for years and use them as passive income selling them to end users when they come along. I have picked up multiple domains at Godaddy for $100 and sold them for $15,000 to IBM and others, but don't expect that to happen. Set reasonable prices, if you paid $20 total for the domain a $500 sale is a great ROI to start. Start small and work your way up, you'll get the hang of it buddy. Reviewing namebio and dnjournal for prior sales also helps.

Last edited:

Howie Crosby

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rockefeller, I really appreciate your advice and time, it's really nice that another domainer can spend their time to do that.

But gong back to my question, yes it makes sense, age lost on a hand reg ;) thanks.

@Don(Biggie) No, I was just being vague, it's not software, it's a site; and I'm not spending that long to be honest, and I'm flipping and making profit from .co.uk's.

Last edited:

farns

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What's the story with "hand regged"? Can you explain that to me? Most of my domains are 10 years old or older, I bought most of them through my hosting provider. What does it mean to hand register one? Does that add value in some way to the domain?

Does the simple age of a name add value?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To hand register a name means to register an unregistered name from a registrar (Can I get any more register/ars into this sentence?) Any time that is done, the registry (Verisign, Affilias, etc...) assigned a new registration date or created on date. This is a new registration, with no age to it. If you buy a name off someone or via a registrar auction (Not a drop auction) the domain retains it's original registration date an the age that comes with it. Age has shone to be beneficial to search engine optimization because it shows the the domain is not a fly by night registration. The older the domain, the better that part of the search engine algorithm treats your domain.

In my opinion, the importance of age is a bit overblown and has an inflated sense of value to domain investors, as end users typically don't care. The age issue can be easily overcome with decent content. Good luck.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Hand register (a domain): when you use your hands to type on your computer keyboard or tactile smartphone or tablet surface, entering a domain into the WHOIS tool of a domain registrar. Typically, it involves being told that the .com is taken, and that other, lesser extensions are available. At this point, if you had consumed alcohol prior to the query, your resistance is futile and you end up "hand registering" that lesser domain anyway. Later on, reality kicks in and you "hand register" yourself with a facepalm.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does the simple age of a name add value?
Short answer: no. But generally speaking, the best domains were registered long ago, so an old domain is often better than one you would register today, simply because there were more available domains back then :)

Long answer: sometimes age can be a bonus for certain end users. For instance, there is a market for off the shelf corporations, because you can give an impression that you have been trading for several years. An old domain name matching the company name can back up the desired "history".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom