Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Alexa question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfield1985

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if it is possible for a webpage to receive around 500-1000 unique views per day and not to have Alexa ranking at all. To my mind, it seems like such webpages must have Alexa ranking, bc I have seen the rankings of webpages which receive only 300 monthly, i.e. 10 daily...

thanks for your help!

Cheers!

ehdonhon

Open-source developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's possible. Alexa doesn't get it 100% right.

If you have a site that has a very small, but loyal base, it's possible for that site to get a ton of hits without Alexa ever seeing it. Alexa does better when you have a site with a very broad user base.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't rely on Alexa! It's rather useless actually and far too easy to manipulate.

ehdonhon

Open-source developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't rely on Alexa! It's rather useless actually and far too easy to manipulate.

Not totally useless, but you need to understand what the numbers you are looking at really mean. It is just one of many tools you need to look at. It's certainly not the holy grail by any means.

garfield1985

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies! It really helps.
However, I want to clarify something. Is it guaranteed that a webpage with 4million ranking will receive more traffic than a webpage with 6 million ranking?
I know that it might sound intuitive, however, i think there are a lot of things happening with Alexa's ranking that i am not aware of...:)

melmunch

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Absolutely not. It is even highly likely that those numbers don't mean much.

Alexa is a much better metric when you get into the low xx,xxx and below, at which stage it takes much more effort to game it.

If you have a domain and have the Alexa toolbar, or even just the firefox plug-in, and you go to the domain twice a day, you will have an Alexa ranking after a month. Other sites could get hundreds of uniques a month, and you will have no ranking.

ehdonhon

Open-source developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it guaranteed that a webpage with 4million ranking will receive more traffic than a webpage with 6 million ranking?

No, the only thing that can be guaranteed is that once upon a time, there was a certain group of internet users that visited the one page more than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom