Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

alexa ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
is a domain name with an Alexa ranking of 3,620,128 good?
it only has 8 links in marketleap.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No its pretty bad. Kinda tough not to come up with that number if someone has an alexa tool bar.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No not good. It doesn't get much worse than that. But a much lower(number) may not mean much. If you told me the site name I could have it ranked under 250,000 within 3 weeks to a month, after some manipulation. So any lower ranked site your looking at may be valid or the results may have been manipulated.

And don't forget the front page ranking is a 3 month average. Go into "See Traffic Detail..." for daily/weekly results.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
so the lower the alexa ranking the better? I thought the bigger the number the better.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
the name is
fcisonline.com

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL I said I could get it ranked below 250,000 I didn't say I would.

Look at my namechef.com I achieved that rank in less than 2 weeks. Started at 4 mill+ Look at the daily rank. In the top 50,000 for today.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is one case where smaller is better. :D

Seriously, I've had domains that received 1-2 hits per day and others with 50-100 hpd with the same Alexa ranking. Much more important are the incoming links and their quality. 1 or 2 quality links can bring you in a decent amount of traffic without any Alexa ranking.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Of the 8 links in Marketleap, none appear to be very useful for traffic. Apparently, this domain was originally used for Faculty of Computer & Information Science of Ain Shams University in Egypt. It also was used at one point as a download site from c/net's download section for Graphica Math Kit 1.1., which is no longer available for download.

Bottom line......don't expect any traffic out of this one.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
no one still has answered my question, is lower ranking better?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fast-autos.com gets 1000 hits per day and has a ranking of 350,000.... I really dont care about alexa anymore...

btw - Sharpy....if you help me get fast-autos.com higher in alexa it will shut me up about my domain :)

LeDomain

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Alexa ranking alone is not a good criteria for the actual traffic you are getting. I have 2 sites - the regular traffic stats and Alexa don't correlate. Not sure why..possibly my visitors from one site are not using alexa toolbars.. is only explanation I can think off...

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ok, lower is better, so what if it does not have a rank at all? is that good? or is having a rank , but a low one the best?
Can someone please give me a good explanation of Alexa ranking.

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You will only see about the top 4,xxx,xxx sites with a ranking on Alexa. If their rank is greater than that, they will show as no ranking. Even with a 4 million ranked site, you still may see some traffic from them if the sites linked to them are of good quality.

The ranking is based purely on the number of visits to the site by people who have installed the Alexa toolbar on their computer. If noone that visits your site has the toolbar, then you will have no ranking. If one person (say yourself) has the toolbar and visits your site a dozen times a day, every day, your Alexa ranking will get much better (lower), which really shows nothing about real useful traffic.

So yahoo.com's Alexa rank is 1....not because of the millions of incoming links, but because lots of people with the Alexa toolbar visit that site.

fcisonline.com, on the other hand, is ranked 3,620,128, probably because of a couple of people who have the toolbar and have frequently visited the site......perhaps a couple of the students at the school.

Bottom line.....Alexa is a rough gauge to traffic, but probably not accurate or useful at all until you get under 1,000,000. You need to check the incoming links for quality and quantity, which will give you a better idea of whether to expect traffic.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
thank you very much, that was a good explination. One more question, how do i check the links to see if there good, ect...

wyvern

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On the Alexa page, there is a link called "Sites Linking In". Click on this, then go through the links one by one to see where they come from and if they are good ones....Alexa doesn't usually have all the links to any site, so you can also go to Marketleap.com and check the website there. You will see links from several different search engines there....go to the individual engine and check the links manually to see the quality.

If you've got links from yahoo, search.com, google, etc. you can figure on some traffic....if you've only got links like geocities.com/johnshomepage.htm, then you can figure on no traffic.

E=MC2

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, THANKS AGAIN. YOU ARE A BIG HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom