Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

alexa top sites file

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you want to do with it?

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Possibly lots of things - Knowing the most popular/high-traffic websites (more than just the top ones you can easily guess) could be a very useful set of data for research purposes.

You could track down which keywords found in these high-value domain names are most common and you could then find domains with similar variations or word combinations. you could also get a good idea of which online-trends are most popular based on which domains have most traffic. If you could isolate an up-and-coming trend - you could get in on the action by developing a competing site before the market is too saturated. If you're into typo-squatting you could look for typos on the highest traffic domains names. You could register any unregistered domains in other gTLDs and ccTLDs for resale purposes... You could make a "top sites" portal page for a popular niche - and then use affilate programs to make cash from referrals... I'm sure there are other good ways to use the list too... Basically its a wealth of knowledge if you can think of creative ways to tap it.... Thats why alexa doesnt sell it cheap or give it away for free!

-- Rob

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thats a lot of ideas.
What did you have planned?

Temp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also wanna get a copy.So

BUMP!

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
probably all of the above and any other way I can think of in the future - I'd like to leave no stones unturned! but I'd probably do the simplest things first, such as check for unreg'd domains in other tlds. I've also got a program that will match keywords (from a dictionary) embedded in domain names, so I can easily strip out which are the most popular keywords.
Based on those keywords I can look for new domains for investment - either unreg'd or domains, resale domains, or domains that are dropping containing those keywords. I wouldnt mind trying the affiliate program idea too - I've heard you can make pretty good money off of those. Domains are more of a hobby, I'm more of a web-developer - so good development ideas in an up-and-coming (but not oversaturated) market would be nice too.. That will take some good research though - but I think this list is a good place to start. Also - I'm currently developing a domain name research site and knowing the top sites would be useful because you could use that dataset to do searches on and make keyword substitutions in order to come up with suggested variations on domain names.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd consider going in on 1 as well. Let me know if you get a group going to get the cost down.
Doc

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they probably dont allow it..

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will never know. Meanwhile, its like we all work together, and part of the same organization sharing the info.
A company owner is allowed to use that info with his employees and co-workers/partners, no?
Furthermore, thats why we have a forum like this. To pool together is safety in numbers (and lower costs).
It may be a big grey area sharing it, but I'm willing to bet that we have many internet outlaws in the forum anyhow. Who cares - split the bill.

mogtnomr

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the important thing is that each of us realizes that this data is for our research purposes only - and not for resale or re-publishing of the data. I think what we are hoping to achieve here is some sort of a limited partnership, and the data will be used for research purposes only by the members of the partnership, and that each of us would be bound by the terms of use.

NameTower

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe Adam can contact them and just buy one that we can all use.

I don't know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom