Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale All extensions now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5251769&page=1

"The group that oversees the naming of Internet domains approved a measure today that will broadly expand what words can follow the period in a Web address – everything from .ABC to .sex -- potentially sparking a domain-naming boom."

So, who is going after .canada, .canadian or .can?

I would doubt they would allow .canada to anyone but the government. I think this would affect ccTLD's prices the least of all the extensions.

So if you have $100,000 for a domain name, do you buy a .ca or your own .mystore? Domain knowledge should bring you to .ca, however lack of knowledge (which is definitly out there) or your ego might lead you to .mystore.

If you're a high level domain investor living in Canada, do you now take a chance and spend some of your budgeted .ca money on .anythingyouwant? Especially in the beginning when so much is available.

This will hurt some, however I don't think it will hurt that much for at least many years -imo.

Domain Days 2024

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i would take
google.cmo
facebook.cmo
myspace.cmo

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really don't know how this is going to change the .CA landscape, but i'd love to hear from my fellow canucks on it.

I personally think this will just spur a metric a$$-ton of TM and UDRP/WIPO's between corporate giants.

The only direct way I could see this hurting us would be if you had a premium generic and .CA and the company decided instead of owning that they would take their chance at getting the ext of choice for it.

For example, the owner of carrentals.ca may not get the sale it was going to from Budget because they may now balk at the idea and try and take .carrentals, or something of the like.

Some companies will definitely go this route, just not sure how successsful it will be.

Credit

Buying CC.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doesn't change anything IMO. There will be a few extensions very sought after - like .sex and the bidding will really take the prices over the top. For an average company, 100k for their extension is worse than sticking to the old good .com

dobes399

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The more new TLD's that are introduced the more the value of all the existing ones is reduced, even the dotcoms. It's simple supply and demand. When the supply increases the cost is driven down. If a buyer has more viable options then the price for a specific TLD or ccTLD domain will go down.

The point in question is whether these new TLD's will be viable options. We've seen how poorly some new TLD have done, while others have done very well.

For what it's worth I think (hope) the old TLD's and ccTLD's will continue to do well and for the most part the new ones will slowly fade away and be remember as just another fad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom