Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Always remember to do a backup. AND do it regularly! I didn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did not make backup more regularly and almost got a heart attack.

A couple of days ago I experienced the nightmare all domainers pray not to happen to them.

I got a virus in my computer!!! Not a harmless one with pop-ups and such, but a real nasty one, that deleted files on my computer.

What was more frustrating was that I 1 hour before it all happened thought "Hey, its been long time I have had backup , maybe its time do it now" (Yes, I do talk with myself from time to time :)) but decided against it and thought "I do it tomorrow".

1 hour later -BANG- virus!!!

After a couple minutes of crying and headbanging :) I reached the 2nd step, that is I started panicked and ran around the house screaming and pulling my hair out (the few I have left).

I couldn't start my computer, something was missing, luckily I had an external dock for harddisk where I could plug it in and get the most vital files from the harddisk.

But at the moments it happened was like a nightmare, I didn't know if the file I use to save my passwords and domain list was still there. If I had not been able to get the file, I really don't know what I would do, all the info to all my accounts was in it.

A whole day with cleaning the harddisk of virus and a headache later, I write this to warn you all.

So my fellow domainers, this is a warning to all like me, who thinks they have time to make a backup tomorrow, it might be too late.

Do It Now!

rngrdanny22

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I try to backup my files regularly using an external hard drive.

About a year and a half ago, the internal hard drive in my desktop overheated. Had I not had the backups, there was nothing I could do about the lost files.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm lazy as heck about this, but I use Backblaze to do it all for me. Five bucks a month for piece of mind.

Bill F.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
with cloud backup the initial upload can take weeks running in the background.
after that it backs up daily.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That Drobo does look nice,... and spendy.

But I am lazy and forgetful sometimes too.

So I setup a small home server with 4-1.5 tb, total 5.5tb usable space. (Less than a grand)

Then I set the server to command backups everyday from any machine on, and it culls the old backups after a month.

Plus each user can log into a mapped drive space for data and file storage, and the server automatically makes copies for redundancy on another drive.

Then I store nothing on whats now called a client computer. Just using it as operating system and apps etc.

If a drive on a client pc becomes infected or damaged, I just pop in a new 250gb (as size is no longer the issue, and the prices are cheap) and run a restore utility from the server to any backup date, 30 minutes later, the client pc is back where it was exactly, including all apps etc.

Saves a ton of time, and alot less hair pulling. And all files are double-redundant protect spanned over 4 drives.

Now of course, this assumes a antivirus on my server and client are kept up to date.

Hate to hear that happened to you. Been there before, which is why I have this system in place now.

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hate to hear that happened to you. Been there before, which is why I have this system in place now.

:) With my luck a lightning would hit the building my server was in.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
:) With my luck a lightning would hit the building my server was in.

Well I was incomplete, I also slapped it and my wireless router and cable modem onto a 1500 watt ups for another 150 dollars. Makes for a nice soft landing on brownouts and blackouts for the server, keeps the whole network alive during brief power outages, and has a strong surge protector built in against lightning. If I lose power, the server shutsdown nicely after the ups reaches 50% capacity which is around 3 to 4 hours. This way any client laptop running on batteries stays alive and connected to the web.

edit to add, also have the wireless phone base, the dvr, and the 55" tv on the ups, and total lasts about 5 hours with no ac.

Gotta have some internet and entertainment while I am calling the power company lol.

Last edited:

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For sure. I lost a ridiculous amount of stuff because I put all my trust in a new flash drive I had gotten that ended up failing after only a few months. Backups are extremely important, especially for priceless documents you either can't recreate or would have difficulty recreating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom