Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whenever I post a domain for an appraisal nobody responds and it just keeps on moving down the list and eventually goes to the second page never to be looked at again!

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

My domains are all real words, mostly 2 word .coms, no hyphens, numbers or any of that funky stuff so I don't know why they are so unappealing to appraise...

Any help is appreciated,
-$ideline

hunnam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when I first joined, I have a pretty bad group of domains but I saw worse getting comments.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately many people view the 'appraisal threads' but few ever give comment. Generally people will only give a few words but not give reasoning for a valuation, you will see comments like 'Worthless IMHO', 'reg fee if lucky', etc.. Yet you can see reported sales of similar domains in the $xxx's or $x,xxx's.

It may be an idea for those posting appraisals to make an offer of DNF$'s to the best 3 explained appraisals (I do not think this is 'banned' by the rules). That way at least appraisers would feel they are acheiving something by spending a few minutes writing an appraisal. Just an idea.

By the way, numerous times I have had the same experience.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well that makes me feel a bit better...

Maybe people just like to comment on the domains they think are bad so they can spark debates or something?!

I always check the recent sales and the domains I own are comparable to some of the ones that are going for low $x,xxx

If anyone wants to be really helpful they can PM me for a list of my domains and appraise them for me.

-$ideline

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bilbo.

They often only give you a value, the one that pass them through their mind at the moment.

There is absolutely no study and they do not explain what lead them to give their appraisal.
And if you say something often they come as furious dogs that want to eat you!

When you are serious like I try to be the rare times I posted giving the "domain score" plus my opinion,
then you are a monster that is only trying to advertise his valuation service.
This is why I am now very reluctant to respond.

Recently I complained about a domain that was apprasied $100 by ones and several dozen thousands dollars by others saying it was stupid and we was decreasing the interest of the forum with such responses.

Fortunately the DNForum big boss just anounced today is going to put order very soon!

oveber

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with Billbo and Cybertonic. Often when i put an comment to an appraisel i give the price i think it could be worth. Sometimes other agree with me or sometimes not. There is no facit for a price.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A reason I give very few appraisals is because the seller frequently reveals insufficient data or worse yet no data to base the valuation on. Not sure why they do that but likely because they are either lazy, or the data is not real positive in the first place so it's not mentioned.

For example, for the appraisal to be accurate data on traffic (uniques and total visits) is very important, traffic from where, kind of traffic such as from links or typeins, plus G page rank, number of Google returns using quotes, how long reg'd, other ext taken, income data, CTR, EPC, etc.

ibydesign

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick my neck out here, and say that appraisals here will be all over the place, but most people appraise based on intra-industry wholesale prices... which can be pitiful, compared with what you can get from somebody truly in the industry the domain represents. The difference is that sales are not as easily achieved to these "end users" and many people price based on "flipping" a domain. Somebody goes into a wanted thread and says (metaphorically) "I want a two letter .com with a page rank of 1 making at least $10,000 a month, and will pay three months revenue." and disproportionately to the out of step requests that are sometimes made, some people who are naive, end up selling. It might not be that high profile, but it might have a lot going for it that makes it a $xxK name, and they end up selling it for $xxx. So you have to know what YOU think it is worth, and why, (value of a lead in the industry, etc.) and be willing to wait for that, or you can approach it with a high volume, low price approach, and then appraisals and sales within the domain community often reflect that.

The flip side of that is people who think that a domain is worth $20M, and you see those people on ebay all the time. It would be nice if market forces would balance requests/sales out a little better, but the industry is still fairly new to most of the world. In fact, most people who are naive about the whole domain/advertising thing don't see why they should pay any more than a little over reg fee, and so it's all ... very interesting, and will require a lot of patience and persistence in development, etc.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think trader hit the nail on the head, insufficient information being one of the big reasons...names I cant understand, acronyms, TLDS I'm not very good at or just plain worthless domains, no offense, I just don't like insulting people by posting "Reg fee", the more I do that, the more people will hate me, better not to appraise at all.

I'll tell you what NOT to do, do NOT lie in your thread and say "I got a 100K offer" Please appraise, this draws people to your appraisal under false pretense, and you will get caught eventually, we caught one yesterday, who intentionally wanted to drive traffic to his domain.

If its a domain I feel comfortable giving an appraisal on, I will appraise it, better if its a dot com with the above info...I also like BILLBO's idea of offering F$.....I hope this helps!.

RG

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, every bit of info helps!

I am starting to find out who are the more helpful members and which ones opinions to trust more than others.

Appreciate everyone's help tremendously!

-$ideline

shack

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's ok Sideline. the same thing is happening to me. posting for appraisal,and not getting a reply. I'm new to the Forum,and have notice my name has views but no replys. My name blows these others away, and the names above and below getting reviewed. It's ok! I'm learning how this Forum works,only be signed up for a few day now. I'm a quick learner. I just wanted to see what would happen when I posted on the Appraisal page. First time I did it. I will Help others here as I get more comfortable with all of the rooms and sites. I pretty much know what my name is worth, I just wanted some feedback. Thanks Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom