Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Am i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dnf biggest and most famous cybersquatter ?

In my short 5 year domain history i have Lost 3 wipos and have now been labeled in an African newspaper as a cybersquatter (although i have still got that domain)......:lol:

Anybody beat that ?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh yes you are the boss because in 3 years I never had a problem with domains and I sell to endusers for the most part.

Only 1 time I've reg'd (for a mistake) a TM domain but a week later I've dropped the name.

Probably you need to do some researches before buy a domain LOL

Seriously...be careful before reg a name companies are aggressive these days.

newvista

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

In my short 5 year domain history i have Lost 3 wipos and have now been labeled in an African newspaper as a cybersquatter (although i have still got that domain)......:lol:

Anybody beat that ?

Care to share any of the names involved, it could be educational for all of us.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Anybody beat that ?

this is something you should keep to yourself

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is something you should keep to yourself

Agreed. It is a great shame that DNForum can make the legal threads
UN-editable, but cannot see their way to keeping the legal postings
private and only accessible to members only. DHforum would be doing
a great thing if they did make legal threads private as would mean more
open postings without fear of it being used against one.

DG

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you sould be worried about having your name in google along with the cybersquatter label :worried:
Imagine if you're looking for a job in 5 years and prospective employers find out (most likely, they will). The rulings are going to remain online for a long time, possibly forever.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Three WIPO losses isn't so bad. It depends on why you lost.

I'll give an amen to that.

It's also a question of proportion.

While there is this atmosphere of "cybersquatter taint" from losing a UDRP, one does need to keep a sense of proportion. If you've had three names challenged out of a portfolio of several thousand, that's not terribly unusual. There are fine and respectable businesses which certainly become engaged in legal disputes and they win some and they lose some - that's what a "dispute" is about.

A fine upstanding and respected company like Exxon can contaminate hundreds of miles of wilderness coastline by putting a drunk in charge of an oil tanker. Verizon can seek exemption from liability for participation in criminal activities, which was granted to them.

While those examples are extreme, the fact that (a) any business will encounter legal disputes, and (b) nobody prevails all of the time, are normal facts of life.

Now, at some point, one may begin to wonder whether that business learns anything, or perhaps is generally ill-motivated, but in the main one would conclude that, for example, Exxon is in the business of selling petroleum products and Verizon is in the business of selling telecom services, and that their failures to be good citizens is not generally representative of who they are.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have a good point John.
However, responsibility is more diluted within large corporations.
On the other hand an individual has nobody to blame for his/her own mistakes.

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about a case like Nissan

It is a shame on Nissan to harass some one like they are doing.
Just because they have the money the other may not fight with them and give up I don't think he is a cybersquatter.

You my not want to fight a WIPO if you don't have the resources that does not mean you are a cybersquatter.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you sould be worried about having your name in google along with the cybersquatter label :worried:
Imagine if you're looking for a job in 5 years and prospective employers find out (most likely, they will). The rulings are going to remain online for a long time, possibly forever.

LOL funny did you know you can get a wipo without a waring for a generic domain and i'm sure you got a few so don't count your chickens yet and as for a job i have worked for myself for 15 yrs and don't intend to get a job for the forseeable future........and you gotto to remember it was a damn paper who labeled me a cybersquatter for a domain what is not even in a dispute,i think i could retire if i sue for libel :smilewinkgrin:

tassos

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Anybody beat that ?
i lost one wipo for fluke dot biz and i was called cybersquatter to all domain sites for my mozzilla dot com sale
less wipo..but more famous.. :))

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For some reasons the wipo's I "lose" are always in someone else's name who lives on the island of Fiji...wierd huh :confused:

jaxonrice

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog - what was the domain name that caused the African newspaper to label you a cybersquatter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom