Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

AMD vs. Pentium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Intel. I used AMD all the way up to an Athlon 2100 - then switched to Intel. Currently using a 3.4 GHz P4 clocked to 3.8 GHz - rock solid stable. AMD generate too much heat and the motherboards/chipsets are unstable. Also, the higher end AMD CPUs are no longer considerably cheaper than Intel's and sometimes they are more expensive!
I always upgrade 1 generation later, e.g. my current system is maxxed out for the 478 pin form. Once CPU clocks & RAM go higher/faster I will switch to a PCI-Express board.

dotDan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've used both Intel and AMD for my home desktops (usually just internet/coding) and haven't noticed much of a difference between them.

Half a year ago I'd say I was more partial to Intel for servers, but the Opteron is making headway.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AMD is good for gaming. If you are planning on running processor-intense applications then definately stick with Intel. They run much cooler.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I used a Pentium and a AMD for recording and the AMD did better for "me" .. Speeds besides that didnt seem too much differ.

gdurni

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i find intel works better in mobile applications, no recent stories to tell regarding a desktop

Dr. Domaining

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
AMD's dual-core is actually a true dual-core, while Intel's Pentium D is merely a synthetic dual-core. From what I have heard the AMD processor blows the Pentium processor away. It is a shame that Intel has such a strong hold on the market. They really have hindered AMD's sales with their ruthless monopolistic tactics.

dotcomgiant

Technologist
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Intel, as apart from the Heat factor there is the mobo - chipset is also a factor. And above all to me price does matter when i use to have high end pcs.

:)

csmaster2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
personally, I've always preferred to pay a bit more and build an intel.

I built a computer 2 years ago... went and bought the parts and put it together.
A friend of mine did the same thing, at the same time, but went AMD instead.

Take a guess who's having trouble with their computer ;)

Andrei73

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i am very thankfull to AMD that it exist because if not I would pay for intel processors much more and their speed was much slower.

ChrisMacleod

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i've always gone with AMD - more bang for your buck! Never had any problems so far.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my AMD what im on now, 2.07Ghz seems fine, i dont have problems with the proccessor, my computer gets heavy contant usage from me, i would say its better than the pentium proccessor i use, but i cant really compare my amd to a same speed intel, as the highest intel i got is 398Mhz and i gotta say it runs Windows XP and linux Dual boot, no problems, i have to say overall AMD, i just love them hehe (i dont like intel much as my old PC blew up grrrr, it was my fault but...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom