Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

An Offer From Sedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambassador

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A person called me from Europe stating that they represented a company called Sedo. The person was polite and stated that someone else wants to buy one of my domains for $x,xxx and that the buyer is willing to pay all associated escrow and transaction fees which apparently constitute 10% of the sale.

The associated domain was not purchased to resell. However, since the associated website has not yet been developed - there is presently no website - the offer to sell the domain is seriously being considered.

A couple of years ago a subscription to this DNF group was secured for just such occasions. First, is Sedo a reputable company in this matter? Based upon the little Sedo graphics exhibited on this website, Sedo apparently sponsors this DNF group to some degree.

Secondly, an email from Sedo is asking me to transfer the domain through a Sedo account that Sedo has apparently made for me. Is such a transfer procedure the most proper way of selling the domain to whomever it is that wants to buy the domain?

Finally, curiosity prompted me to check the term in Google to see if a movie or something like that using the same two words in the domain is pending. The first couple of screens in Google revealed no such movie or other big commercial project associated with the two words. If I do proceed with the sale, it is my desire to be fair to the buyer, while also being smart about the sale price. Is there an accurate algorithmic or otherwise objective means of obtaining a domain's value for the purpose of replying to a buyer with a "counter sale price offer"?

Thank you for your responses to these questions.

Last edited:

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo is one of the biggest domain broker.
However, make sure that email actually did come from sedo.
I heard it's easy to make email appear it come from any web site.

Sedo usually act as broker and escrow service, thus, yes, transferring the domain
to sedo account is proper way.

If you are concerned about value of your domain, ask for appraisal at appraisal section here.

Good luck ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for a broker to call from Sedo. For me, it has also been emails.

I do not think that Sedo sponsors this site as they may be an advertiser.

And yes...they are a reputable company in domain sales and transactions.

As for transferring the name to a sedo account, ABSOLUTELY NOT until confirmation of payment is sent.

So, with that little bit of oddity in your matter, have you already agreed to sell the domain? Have you sold it? Has the other party paid?

The most simple and logical thing to do is pick up the phone and call one of the Sedo's offices and discuss this with a sales rep or broker.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What he said...except do not transfer until you have a deal in place.

One thing I will caution you on is that sedo may try to sell you an appraisal for your name. I would not bother with that. I am sure that there are people on this forum who could give you a pretty good idea of the value....you may not want to do a public appraisal though as it will be picked up by google right away. If you want to pm me the name. I will let you know what I think and keep it confidential...otherwise, best of luck to you...it is always a good phone calll when you get an xxxx opening offer.

ambassador

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I may ask an off-topic question, would it be wise to offer a pair of domains rather than just one? The "LITEjoy.co.uk" domain was originally secured to accommodate an accidental misspelling of the "LIGHTjoy.co.uk" domain. It seems to me that if one were desired, the other would be desired too.

Also, Onward's counsel:

... ABSOLUTELY NOT until confirmation of payment ...

follows the same caution sought here. Thus, the Sedo procedure seems more risky than the procedure exhibited on the Godaddy site.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If a person called you, ask them to provide a name and call-back number. Then call Sedo and ask for that person, to ensure the call indeed came from Sedo.
Sedo is the biggest domain selling/buying/brokering platform in the known universe :D

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I may ask an off-topic question, would it be wise to offer a pair of domains rather than just one? The "LITEjoy.co.uk" domain was originally secured to accommodate an accidental misspelling of the "LIGHTjoy.co.uk" domain. It seems to me that if one were desired, the other would be desired too.

Also, Onward's counsel:

follows the same caution sought here. Thus, the Sedo procedure seems more risky than the procedure exhibited on the Godaddy site.

Definatetly worth mentioning the second name and don't forget you can counter offer - whatever they've offered is not likely their top offer. I wouldn't bring up the second name though until you've haggled - use it as a last bargaining chip to sweeten the deal once you feel they're near their limit. The only value in it (as there was for you) is as a protective registration rather than it having inherant value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom