Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Android Tablets - Beware of Price Gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've recently been researching some specs on the new Android Tablets.

If you are thinking about getting one, please read CNET.com reviews. Also, become aware of the prices.

For instance, the ViewSonic 10" G-Tablet has dropped in price to $299.00 or less. This is at least $200 off retail pricing as when it first came out. Amazon does sell it for $299. Other places even less. It comes with Honeycomb 2.2 and is upgradeable but may take a little know how (hacking and coding) to do it.

One of the hottest items is the new ASUS Transformer tablet running Android Honeycomb 3.0 and powerful processor. This is the one that I decided to try based on reviews, features, front and rear cameras, expandability (microSD slot), and so on.

It was released in the 16gb and 32gb models. The 16gb at $399 had quickly sold out in the US. The 32gb is available at a limited number of places for the $499 retail (I ordered mine from NewEgg.com).

I have seen 16gb selling well over 500 bucks in some places (even amazon had this priced at $459, some Amazon stores had it at $495). The 32gb I have seen priced over $700.00.

The popularity of these products is on fire. I had thought about waiting for the new Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Tab (which I may get later) but the downside here is no microSD or card slot for expandibility. They have received great reviews and will be release this month to the public.

BUYER BEWARE! At the recent Google I/O conference, google handed out over 5500 Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablets FREE, brand new with a limited edition Android back, to conference attendees. In addition, attendees were also give FREE the powerful Verizon Hot Spot device with free 3 month activation. These tablets quickly ended up on eBay and were selling for well over $1000.00. The price has come down some. But many fraud sellers popped up stealing other images from legit sellers or product images from the supplier.

The new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablets will retail for $499 16gb / $599 32gb.

So many of them are being touted as the iPad killer, which it won't be but will ultimately pass iPad in sales (Apple OS tablets vs. Android OS tablets) just like there are now more phones that are Android than Apple. In fact, Best Buy was forced (or not) to remove the statement from their ads and online site referring to the Asus Transformer as the "iPad Killer". Yes, a definite TM issue. But, it just so happened coincidentally that the 16gb Transformer tablet at $399 sold out very rapidly so the ad disappeared all on its own.

The two (Apple and Android) will coexist.

Be careful of shop engines like shopzilla or bizrate...too often they feature multiple shops that are literally the same storefront affiliates network that actually do not have the product and doubtful can get the product. Meanwhile, your money is tied up and you may end up kissing it goodbye.

No matter which tablet you are considering (Apple or Android) do your homework. Not only educate yourself on the specs, usability, user ratings, etc...but also know what retail pricing is and buy from reputable sellers. Do read reviews (editor ratings and owner ratings) on CNET/ZDNET and they will typically post prices, availability, and prices at various merchants.

Last edited:
Domain summit 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators