Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Annonying messenger popups from Orlando Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been getting these annoying popups from Orlanda Florida 10-25 times a day for the past few weeks and they don't seem to be stopping them in the near future.

I have phoned them no end of times, but they haven't been able to successfully pass me on to someone who can stop this.

They gave me an e-mail address to write to, but this bounced ([email protected].)

I tried to use their webform at www.valuedguest.com but it gave me a run-time error.

Don't really want to give them my e-mail address if they such good spammers using the messaging system.

I wrote to who I thought were their hosting providers but no reply from them.

Has anyone got any ideas who to complain to.

I understand I can disable the messaging system, but that it well affect some other things, and mention was made of virus warnings, which I don't want to be disactivated for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved. I'm getting very annoyed and frustrated.

Thanks

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i get those too! I was thinking about going with Godaddys pop-up blocker, but I was searching for a free one first...

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Use ZoneAlarm - it blocks these. And yes, you can simply disable the messenger service (not related to the Microsoft Instant Messenger) and they will also stop popping up.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The best way to avoid pop-ups is not to use them :D

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The usual system messages like "Your print job is done" or "System shutting down at 5:00 today" aren't needed in my experience.

This is actually NetBIOS spam, an unwelcome intrusion into your work environment. Any Pop Up killer can be configured to stop these, while keeping the normal syadmin messages.

download.com has some good free pop up killers, try there first.

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
ive got a free pop up blocker that should take care of these.

if you would like to try pm me and i'll send you a download link

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DNS Kidd

This is actually NetBIOS spam

DNS Kidd. If I am not on a physical network then is NetBIOS not used or needed?

If that is the case, then I would disable the messaging service.

My main concern is that I still want to get any antivirus warnings from the McAfee anti-virus program I am running on my computer.

If anyone can confirm that my anti-virus program will not be affected, then I will go for disabling messaging, as I'm reluctant to install additional software to solve this problem.

Also, if there is an organisation that recieves complaints for this type of spam activity (sending messages to IP addresses rather than e-mail spam), I would like to know.

Thanks.

windows22

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If your antivirus program use the messenger service, you will not get these messages if you turn it off.

Most popupkillers that "also stops messenger spam" have simply included a simply way to turn on/off the messengerservice.
Do not confuse the messengerspam/netbios spam with popup ads
you get when surfing the net with a browser, these ads can easily be stopped by a www.popup-killer.info.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by windows22
If your antivirus program uses the messenger service, you will not get these messages if you turn it off.

This is my dilema! I don't know whether it does. Maybe I should write to McAfee to find out.

Originally posted by windows22

Do not confuse the messengerspam/netbios spam with popup ads you get when surfing the net with a browser.

I think I have this clear.

"normal" popups are initiated when you open a page, close a page, click on a link etc.

What I am getting is being "posted" to my IP number and is completely independent of opening any web pages or clicking on any links.

It is not a web page that is being popped up, but a little box. which says it has been sent to IP no xxxx and asking me to phone a US number for my "prizes" or whatever.

M

mole

Hey DNKing,

Don't bother about figuring out spammng techniques unless you want to spend 2hrs a day finding out the latest spamming variations and how your OS is addressing/patching this.

Even Microsoft is chunged.

Just take your doses, it SHOULD work, now, and in the foreseeable future.

DNS Kidd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dot Net - If you are not on a physical network, then how are you receiving this spam? You have to be linked in, and that is how these spammers are finding you.

The MMS is used for servers and managers to communicate with users, locally, regionally, or around the world. It allows instant communications of what the organization determines is important messages, and they pop up in the middle of your work.

MMS has nothing to do with the way a memory resident program does screen IO. Disabling MMS will not affect McAffe or any other local program, only the spam messages.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNS Kidd, thanks for your reply.

I am using a stand-alone computer connected to the internet by a dial-up modem with variable IP numbers, but mainly from one batch: nnn.nn.nn.xxx

As disabling MMS will not affect my installed McAffee AV, I will proceed to disable it. That is the answer/confirmtaion I was looking for DNS Kidd. Many thanks.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey,I reinstalled XP on a system, hooked it up to the cable modem and went to bed. Came bake the next morning with tons of those!

Even funnier was one of them was spam for a company that sells a program designed to stop that spam! haha...

Zonealarm killed it dead.

-WC-

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom