Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Annoying live auction refresh and name quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see the page automatically refreshees every 20 seconds. That is very annoying as when it does that the screen moves up to the top position over and over again, requiring constant dragging down, and forgetting your last position and reading the same names repeatedly.That's a very non-user-friendly feature of the auction.

Also note that many of the names listed for sale are reg-fee names (IMO), and wonder why so few good ones are listed?

Upvote 0

hotdog_pk

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Its simply the script refreshing the page so new results are shown, however there are methods that you can do this without automatically refreshing the page.

Also the reason for the reg-fee names was explained in another thread(somewhere), its basically because selling them in such a way makes it less likely to gain any major profit, and the live auctions are a way of getting rid of the domains quickly.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I must agree that i never liked the refreshing either. Sometimes you want to go back up the list and review when you are not interested in the upcoming names. I hate toggling up and down every 20 seconds to do this.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the major problems with the auction in most cases is the unrealistic reserves placed by sellers. Members look at the names and treat it no more than a standard sales thread because sellers are unwilling to "take a chance" that there name will actually be worth what they think it is.
If sellers were more realistic in their reserves and kept to the concept of a true auction then it would certainly gain a great deal more interest and in the end would produce better results for both buyers and sellers.

Ovicide

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
One of the major problems with the auction in most cases is the unrealistic reserves placed by sellers.

After seeing the list of names in the April 4 auction, I agree. I wouldn't want any of those names.

I remember when Mr. Ricks started the auctions early last year, many names were sold, and the auctions were entertaining too.

My opinion is that allowing each member to list no more than two names, with a maximum reserve of $1 helped.

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
One of the major problems with the auction in most cases is the unrealistic reserves placed by sellers. Members look at the names and treat it no more than a standard sales thread because sellers are unwilling to "take a chance" that there name will actually be worth what they think it is.
If sellers were more realistic in their reserves and kept to the concept of a true auction then it would certainly gain a great deal more interest and in the end would produce better results for both buyers and sellers.

This issue ties in directly with a potentially flawed buisness model. The problem with the auction relates to the type of buyers on the board. Most of the buyers are resellers and all buyers want names at wholesale.

This whole issue is very deep as evidenced with the debate over whether dnforum posts should be search engine indexed or not. The hard nosed resellers do not want the exposure and the more flexible reseller does want the exposure.

As of today, the forum is structured in my opinion to allow resellers to deal with other resellers. We currently can use Afternic, Sedo, BuyDomains or greatdomains to broker our names at retail to end users.

I believe the dnforum auction is allowed for all members on the board to particpate. I do not remember if bronze are able to participate. If not they should be included.

Personally I like the business model and believe more reseller type buyers attending each auction would drive its effectiveness.

It would be nice to see published attendance figures and other stats after the auction is completed. This would give a basis for measurment, in which should lead to some logical decision making for the auction.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree.... that page refresh thing has always annoyed me.... please do something with it!

lopramine45

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That transition was fast. I think I caught the tail end of it when the forum wasn't working. Yeah, maybe you should think of another program for live auction. Sounds like a good idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom