Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Another Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have purchased several Florida dot com names with the intent to sell them to local interests that can use them. So I began acquiring Florida"CarBrandName".com's with the intent to sell them to local dealerships. Not for redirected traffic or anything like that, but they are actually for sale on the site that they are redirected to.

Today, I received a letter stating that I could not sell the name of one of these car related domain because of trademark violations and that I was in violation of cybersquatting laws. How far does a trademark extend when I put the word "Florida" or any state for that matter in front of their Trademarked name.

Say for instance that my daughter's name was Mercedes and I lived in Florida and bought her the name FloridaMercedes.com, how could they possibly extend their claim over such a name?

Isn't this getting a bit ridiculous?

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You might have an argument for the FloridaMercedes.com, but do you also have daughters named Ford, Nissan, and Toyota? Pretty obvious bad faith when all the fact are considered.

Throw the one back that they are complaining about and hope you can sell the others before their letters come. :razz:

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
No but my fish are named as such!

You're right though, not worth the trouble. They don't want the name....they just want to let it expire when the time comes!

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nicpal
How far does a trademark extend when I put the word "Florida" or any state for that matter in front of their Trademarked name.

It's still their trademark and you still have no right to it. Adding a word to it doesn't help your case at all.

You shouldn't have to be told you have no right to the name when it's obvious, and you admit what your intention was with the names.

Just don't cybersquat and you won't have that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom