Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Any downside leasing domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a client who is interested in a domain name that I have for sale. However, he couldn't affort to pay my full asking price. I want to offer him an option to buy while leasing the domain name. Is there any downside doing it this way? I ask him to pay $1200 for the first year and I will immediately change the dns to where he wishes. Then every year he will have to pay $1200 and whenever he pays off the difference, I will immediately transfer the domain to his ownership.

I want to make sure that I am aware all the potential problems that might arise. Anyone has any contract similar to what I am trying to do here? Thanks.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Leasing" is great ... when you use the term for leasing out a domain while you keep the ownership of it. This can be a great and profitable option.

"Renting to Own" sucks ... because you have entered into a legally binding agreement with the buyer in which he pays you a certain amount of money per month/year until it is paid off, in which he is the owner. The major factor in this is when a big player comes along and wants to buy the domain from you for 5 times as much as the current "renter to own" offered. You would not be entilted to do so because of your previous agreement.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. It is a very useful article!

I don't really know if the buyer might be interested in the options I purposed. I do think leasing is better than rent to own, however, I do think that buyer will be more interested to own it eventually.

Have anyone try to lease a domain to other party before? How long was the lease or rental term?

Jeanco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you might want to do is not offer the rent-to-own, but rather offer leasing at a lower price... something like $300 per year.

The upside to this is that as he develops the website and builds a business around it he will become attached to the name and you can up the buying price in a few years (or up the per month lease).

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, the interested buyer has a pretty establish company. I can see it from his current website. However, he claims that he can only affort to spend no more than $1000. Can he actually write off the lease monthly if I offer him the lease option?

I do think that the name has some potential because I found a number of companies which uses that name to incorporate. (No trade-mark issue though). I would actually perfer to lease than letting him to rent to own. Problem is, I need ca$h now... :)

Thanks.

Jeanco

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Varchar said:
Well, the interested buyer has a pretty establish company. I can see it from his current website. However, he claims that he can only affort to spend no more than $1000. Can he actually write off the lease monthly if I offer him the lease option?

I do think that the name has some potential because I found a number of companies which uses that name to incorporate. (No trade-mark issue though). I would actually perfer to lease than letting him to rent to own. Problem is, I need ca$h now... :)

Thanks.

Those are questions you'd have to ask him. May I ask what the domain is? For now, I'd offer him leasing at $75 per month or something like that... might be some nice long-term recurring income. Plus, if you ever get an offer for it then you'll have a guaranteed two parties interested - you should get a premium.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The buyer chosen to buy the domain instead of leasing. :) But I might consider leasing my other domains. I did go online and try to search for info, I read something like people who rent out domain name and the renter somehow got Google banned the domain. Is that possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom