Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Any Ideas Of The New Extensions Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm so new to this world that I'm still learning all the lingo, so bare with me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of the new domain extension coming out? Most of the valuation tools I've tried using don't even allow you to put the new extensions in.

I'm asking because I have been buying them like crazy, but having a hard time selling them. What am I doing wrong. You pros out there can sure be a great help to this rookie domainer :)!

Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have a .COM , you can get an idea of its value by checking similar sales, be it a short domain, a keyword domain or whatever.
Same goes for .org, .net or country codes.
Unfortunately there are no reported sales to end users for new gtld (or maybe very few)
So I guess it's basically speculation for now....
My personal way of evaluation for new gtlds is how well the sld+gtld combo works, how many end users would possibly want it, and what they would pay.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stop buying now!!!...pleaseeee You are making the biggest mistake.

You need to go through and read old threads. Bottom line, post your best domain or a few of them for sale...and you will get educated fast...if you are a good buyer or have a good eye for a domain they will get offers...if not drop them and start over.

In the meantime STOP buying until you prove you are buying correctly.

Sorry to hear/read this. Hopefully this is not a huge loss and you can get over it.

You just broke my heart :( Shame on any of the people who lead you to this point.

Just my thoughts.
Take care.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agree with Stewie.

You sound like you got into this in hopes of flipping and making a quick buck which is the furthest thing from the truth when we are talking about these new extensions.

They are untested, unproven, and many will fail.

Prudence and research and some damn good insight is needed in determining which extension to buy let alone selecting a name to register.

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This will prove to be a costly mistake.

Buying like crazy in hopes to make a quick buck is a massive mistake.

I'm not trying to make a quick buck off of them, I'm using them as an investment, and trying to sell others. Like any domainer, I'm trying to get started in this business. But why buy a bunch of .coms that make no since when I can try my hand at a fresh batch of new extension. Its like the 90's all over again. Only now, I'm old enough to take a crack at it. ;-)

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I began buying the new extensions because you can't get any really good .coms anymore. Everything seems to be pretty much tapped out. Don't worry though, I have given consideration to my plans before getting out of hand, though my "going crazy" language does suggest, I haven't. I've given myself a budget and stuck to that budget. In the end, how many people can say they spend $1500 dollars on the potential to start a profitable business enterprise and actually see real success? People with online businesses more likely. I can be patient, I guess I just wanted some feedback. Thanks!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1,500 will buy a decent .com and a great .net. Stick with what's proven.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fresh hand regs. Why? I'm new so the more knowledge the better.

I'd suggest posting them in the appraisal section. The feedback, or lack thereof, will provide invaluable insight into what you're doing correctly and what you're doing wrong.

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest posting them in the appraisal section. The feedback, or lack thereof, will provide invaluable insight into what you're doing correctly and what you're doing wrong.

Well, that tells you how green I am, I didn't even know there was an appraisal section. Where is it?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I began buying the new extensions because you can't get any really good .coms anymore.
Well it's not really true, the good .com are to be found on the aftermarket or the drops. You will pay more than regfee but it takes money to make money right.
I don't know how many domains you bought, but if you are very lucky you will maybe sell one but the rest will be up for renewal (or dropped) and you will carry a loss. Sorry, but it's just like buying lottery tickets and hoping for the best.

Its like the 90's all over again.
It's not. The dotcom boom will not repeat itself. But History repeats itself - I mean the new extensions that always fail :) I could write ten pages to demonstrate it, but to keep it simple the Internet is now firmly established, it's not like we are in 1993 and starting from scratch. Even for .com domains the demand is rather tiny...

1,500 will buy a decent .com and a great .net. Stick with what's proven.
Exactly, just buy a few high-quality domains, not tens or hundreds. If you own the right inventory you'll make sales.

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well it's not really true, the good .com are to be found on the aftermarket or the drops. You will pay more than regfee but it takes money to make money right.
I don't know how many domains you bought, but if you are very lucky you will maybe sell one but the rest will be up for renewal (or dropped) and you will carry a loss. Sorry, but it's just like buying lottery tickets and hoping for the best.

It's not. The dotcom boom will not repeat itself. But History repeats itself - I mean the new extensions that always fail :) I could write ten pages to demonstrate it, but to keep it simple the Internet is now firmly established, it's not like we are in 1993 and starting from scratch. Even for .com domains the demand is rather tiny...

Exactly, just buy a few high-quality domains, not tens or hundreds. If you own the right inventory you'll make sales.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm so new to this world that I'm still learning all the lingo, so bare with me. Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of the new domain extension coming out? Most of the valuation tools I've tried using don't even allow you to put the new extensions in.

I'm asking because I have been buying them like crazy, but having a hard time selling them. What am I doing wrong. You pros out there can sure be a great help to this rookie domainer :)!

Thanks!

I began buying the new extensions because you can't get any really good .coms anymore. Everything seems to be pretty much tapped out. Don't worry though, I have given consideration to my plans before getting out of hand, though my "going crazy" language does suggest, I haven't. I've given myself a budget and stuck to that budget. In the end, how many people can say they spend $1500 dollars on the potential to start a profitable business enterprise and actually see real success? People with online businesses more likely. I can be patient, I guess I just wanted some feedback. Thanks!

Hi

I bolded a few keys, from your statements

just so you can see, what I see...which tells me, where you're at.

:)

imo, here's the deal on valuation tools:

because, if a tool could accurately determine the value of "unregistered" domain names, then...
whoever owned that tool would "register" all of those domain names and you wouldn't have anything to play with.

there are good .com's out here for decent prices, but you have to shop around and have funds available when the names come up.

now, to some degree, you're thinking of the future, but I don't see it without considering > "renewal fee's".

automatically, by expensing the budget, you increase pressure to liquidate.

so there goes potential to get highest roi.

unless you afford to be patient and wait, for the future to catch up.

imo...

Angela St. Julien

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I bolded a few keys, from your statements

just so you can see, what I see...which tells me, where you're at.

:)

imo, here's the deal on valuation tools:

because, if a tool could accurately determine the value of "unregistered" domain names, then...
whoever owned that tool would "register" all of those domain names and you wouldn't have anything to play with.

there are good .com's out here for decent prices, but you have to shop around and have funds available when the names come up.

now, to some degree, you're thinking of the future, but I don't see it without considering > "renewal fee's".

automatically, by expensing the budget, you increase pressure to liquidate.

so there goes potential to get highest roi.

unless you afford to be patient and wait, for the future to catch up.

imo...

Biggie,
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post, I must say I didn't give much thought to renewals except hoping that I would sell at least one Mega domain that would pay for me to renew the others. I can see that this thinking would lead me to being pressured to sell some. I'll have to operate on a hope in a pray with regards to that now, since I've already taken the jump. But, because of the advice I've been receiving from you pros, ;) I'll tread carefully from this point on!

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For aftermarket sales you can check: <mod edit>no hacks</mod edit>
They just started tracking and gathering them, so it's not much but in time we'll probably see more appear.

My advise is to look good at the left and right of the dot when regging a new gTLD. That is were the power is of those domains, many also target a niche so do your homework on that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators