Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

ANy ideas on fighting SPAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i am sick of getting hundreds of spam emails. I ahve tried everything.

What can you propose? How can i stop spam dead?

P.S. btamail.net.cn are driving me nuts! Anyway i can initiate legal action?

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Write to their hosting company and write to spamcop etc. You might get their account cancelled.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Same s@#t different day.

Latest spam email i got today didnt include a link for removal, but instead gave a long-distance phone number and stated "if you want to be removed, you have to call us". Isnt it crazy?

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
These simple steps reduced my spam from 100+ per day to <10

- NEVER reply to a "remove my email" option

- NEVER subscribe to a SPAM offer

- Delete unknown sender email(s) without opening/reading

-Reporting SPAM to SpamCop etc., etc., results in MORE spam. Don't do it!

Remember: ANY verification the SPAMMER receives that your email is "valid" will result in more SPAM

Dr

M

mole

Spamcop reports are munged, so that your email addy is protected. However, spammers increasingly embedd your email into the title and body of the spam, so its an increased hassle to manually delete them before you submit a report.

Nucem exposes your email, but ISPs take these reports more seriously.

It's always a balancing act when it comes to fighting spam at source. Some spamfighters get joe-jobbed for this, so the risk is always there. But the personal satisfaction of having taken some proactive action in quelling spam rather than being victimised without recourse pays for itself.

The good thing though is that reporting spam to ISPs and web-host providers have become very fast and efficient. So I can easily nuke my 10-20 spam mails I get a day in about 1-2 min flat.

For me, I use both Nucem and Spamcop to simultaneously report each spam I get whenever I have the time.

Doing 10-20 emails a day on Nucem and Spamcop together take about 5 min, but its become like a stress-relieving pasttime for me.

I still have my SpamAssassin spam filter in my Inbox to quickly sieve away the trash into the Junk Mail folder ready to be nuked.

But for those who want an easy way out beyond just simple filtering, then SpamArrest seems to be the best option in the mid-long term.

Human verified sending of email may be a pain to some, but it works very quickly. And takes away all the problems of false positives that could happen when clients want to contact you.

I still like nuking spam though, so the day has yet to come when I convert to human-verified email :D

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you can ask your ISP or hosting provider to use MAPS server.

DrWho

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you can ask your ISP or hosting provider to use MAPS server.

How, may I ask, is this going to fight spam...:confused:

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. What i did is i set up some filters which block all emails containing stuff like 'pussy' 'teen' , etc. you know the stuff... i also enalbed SpamAssasin and i go after every spam email. I got some interesting results as well. ALl the letters i send out to Network Admins, etc. i form as official as possible stressing possible legal action, etc. Lately i;ve been getting responses like "We are so concerned, here is the direct phone number of this guy and the email of our big guy here, etc. If you ever even smell spam from us again we will be wiping your ass for 10 years, etc." Some stuff works. Some spammer who sells spam lists included his phone number (idiot) so i called him up, pretended to be interested and then quietly told him why i called and what his options are. Something tells me he got the Point ;)

Gail

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mailwasher
free - well, there is a nag screen but it is a full working copy that doesn't expire.

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My problem is not deleting it. Its the fact that some asswipe out there sent me the email in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom